Apple IPhone 4s Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terencedug

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have an Apple IPhone that is 18 month's old, when I downloaded the new ISO7 my WIFI stopped working and the wifi button is now greyed out. Anybody have this same problem ?? I have been back to Apple, they don't want to know,I have back to 02, they don't want to know. Apple said they would repair it but at a cost. Since this only happened after downloading ISO7 form Apple, I think it is down to them.
When you go to Apple website, on there forum there are lots & lots of people having the same problem.

Terence

terencedug":tb6i30tp said:
Hi
I have an Apple IPhone that is 18 month's old, when I downloaded the new ISO7 my WIFI stopped working and the wifi button is now greyed out. Anybody have this same problem ?? I have been back to Apple, they don't want to know,I have back to 02, they don't want to know. Apple said they would repair it but at a cost. Since this only happened after downloading ISO7 form Apple, I think it is down to them.
When you go to Apple website, on there forum there are lots & lots of people having the same problem.

Terence

Sorry to hear you’re having problems. What's the situation here - was the phone supplied by O2 under contract, did you buy it direct from Apple, or another reseller? Phone companies are notorious for leaving you on your own once you're out the door, but I've had pretty good service from O2. Ditto with Apple - they're far better than most retailers IME; did you take it to an Apple store and have an appointment with a 'Genius' or was this just a phone call to customer services?

For a DIY fix I’d try the following in this order:-

1/. Backup your phone to iTunes.

2/. Remove the SIM card and do a hard reset - home button and power button held down together until the Apple logo appears. Check WiFi, if no joy…

3/. On the phone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Check WiFi, if no joy…

4/. On the phone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Setings. Check WiFi, if no joy…

5/. Make sure you’ve backed up your iPhone! On the phone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings. Yes, that does what it sounds like. Connect handset back to computer and restore from backup. Check Wifi.

Alternative to 5 would be to set handset up as a new phone, just to see if that makes any difference, though obviously you'd need to manually restore all your contacts, photos, calendars, apps etc...

If you're not having any joy from any of the above, then it sounds like a hardware problem; If the phone was supplied from O2 then they should be your first port of call.

HTH Keep us posted, Pete

petermillard":1n8xmqr5 said:
terencedug":1n8xmqr5 said:
Hi

Terence

Sorry to hear you’re having problems. What's the situation here - was the phone supplied by O2 under contract, did you buy it direct from Apple, or another reseller? Phone companies are notorious for leaving you on your own once you're out the door, but I've had pretty good service from O2. Ditto with Apple - they're far better than most retailers IME; did you take it to an Apple store and have an appointment with a 'Genius' or was this just a phone call to customer services?

For a DIY fix I’d try the following in this order:-

1/. Backup your phone to iTunes.

2/. Remove the SIM card and do a hard reset - home button and power button held down together until the Apple logo appears. Check WiFi, if no joy…

3/. On the phone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Check WiFi, if no joy…

4/. On the phone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Setings. Check WiFi, if no joy…

5/. Make sure you’ve backed up your iPhone! On the phone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings. Yes, that does what it sounds like. Connect handset back to computer and restore from backup. Check Wifi.

Alternative to 5 would be to set handset up as a new phone, just to see if that makes any difference, though obviously you'd need to manually restore all your contacts, photos, calendars, apps etc...

If you're not having any joy from any of the above, then it sounds like a hardware problem; If the phone was supplied from O2 then they should be your first port of call.

HTH Keep us posted, Pete

Not sure if it's available for iphones, but i use an app called safeback up on android. It backs everything up inc texts etc. Might be something similar for you?

carlb40":30f3h4tf said:
Not sure if it's available for iphones, but i use an app called safeback up on android. It backs everything up inc texts etc. Might be something similar for you?
Thanks, but you'd only need to manually install contacts, calendars etc... if you don't restore from the backup you made in step 1/. i.e. if you set it up as a new device.

cheers, Pete

Aah, it's okay, just figured out where to look and it's set to auto backup to icloud.....

Thks, Paul

Yes phone supplied on contract from 02, through Tesco.
Yes Pete done all the things you said to do, still no wifi. The phone was working fine until ISO7 download from Apple, they will repair it but at a cost.

I think I have been let down, I can't sell the phone as it is not working as it should.

Hiya
terencedug":1zmzplza said:
Yes phone supplied on contract from 02, through Tesco.
Just to be clear, was it from Tesco or O2? Tesco Mobile use the O2 network, but if it was supplied by Tesco then you should probably be talking to them, not O2.

Yes Pete done all the things you said to do, still no wifi. The phone was working fine until ISO7 download from Apple, they will repair it but at a cost.
If you've gone so far as scrubbing the handset clean and setting it up as a new device, then I can only think that there's some kind of hardware problem - especially if Apple say they will 'repair' it? Must say, I'm surprised by this - my experience of the Apple Stores has been that they go out of their way to put things right, even if you didn't buy it from them, e.g. my Dad has just had his iPhone 4 replaced with a 4s at minimal cost, even though it was long out of warranty and not supplied directly by them.

I think I have been let down, I can't sell the phone as it is not working as it should.
Understandably ; if you can't get any joy out of Tesco / O2 then I think I'd talk to citizens advice, as the phone isn't fit for purpose. It's complicated of course, but the OS upgrade, which I'm sure Tesco / O2 will latch onto as a way out; I know this doesn't help, but FWIW I've upgraded a couple of iPhone 4s' to iOS 7 without any problems, so it can be done - unfortunately, as you've discovered, you can't 'roll back' an iOS upgrade.

Let us know how you get on - be interested to hear how it's resolve

Best, Pete

MMUK":2qfwwyxx said:
Can you not roll back to iOS6?

Quoted from Macworld

'The original method of downgrading from iOS 7 to iOS 6 on your iPhone or iPad doesn't work any more, and the only method that's left is extremely hard to do, and only works in a small number of cases'

Essentially, if you don't want to brick the phone, don't even go there.

Phil

Just had email from o2, saying they will send me a replacement IPhone 4s at a cost of £40. With all the trouble I have had I think I will take this offer up.

Thanks for all your help etc.

Terence

Latest posts

Back