anyone using a folding rule?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to think they were a relic of a bygone age and only used by old school woodworkers
But the more i think about it the more i want to try one.
So has the tape measure totally replaced these old measuring tools?

I still have a few of various sizes and vintages but never use them now.

I used to use them on site but they kept getting broken and I do not think they are as accurate as a tape or metal scale ruler. They are also a lot thicker than a tape and transferring the measurement is not as accurate?

Rod

tombo":2avm8r6d said:
I used to think they were a relic of a bygone age and only used by old school woodworkers
But the more i think about it the more i want to try one.
So has the tape measure totally replaced these old measuring tools?

I use the Famous Hultafors, very popular on the continent.

I have both the wood bevelled & fibreglass versions.
Very accurate, lightweight, easy to read & use, much better than steel tapes imho.
I Use them everyday in the workshop.

I have several wooden ones, a steel one and a white nylon one. The steel one is excellent, the others ok for building site joinery but not accurate enough for workshop carpentry.

Richard

I guess a steel one would bet the best bet at staying accurate.

gardenshed":1vzecol9 said:
I use the Famous Hultafors, very popular on the continent.

What's this? A photo would be great! I googled it and got a lot of Danish...and the name is that of a large tool supplier rather than a ruler.

Mike

I still use a vintage Rabone folding rule for small (under 24 inches) DIY jobs.

For: quiet, surprisingly strong (has been dropped from the top of a ladder), slips into the pocket easily, aesthetically pleasing (mellow boxwood and brass does it for me)

Against: needs to be used on its edge (to avoid parallax errors), imperial only

I've got a big, chunky 8m Stanley measuring tape as well. My old Rabone folding rule is just a pleasant alternative for the small stuff. Love it.

I use one, I don't find it inaccurate or awkward to use but these things are all relative. They are inexpensive so why not try one and see what you think?
Simon

I use one for measured survey work on buildings occasionally. Sometimes having a rigid measuring device is helpful, where a bendy tape can't reach the area of interest. Thinking about it though, since I got a Leica Disto laser I haven't used one at all.

Cheers, Ed

If you worked on electric you would leave those metal rulers home,no good on poles,wind blows them everywhere...the folding ruler is a linemans true helper.Everyone who came to work on site had to have one.I still have a couple at home now.If I would have used a metal one I probably would have been fired from the job site.

wow an American with common sense..... :-k :duno:

:whistle: :lol:

wizer":xb8ry4wp said:
wow an American with common sense..... :-k :duno:

:whistle: :lol:
Wizer
looks like that mitre problem is getting the better of you . with that crack. Hope the new B/S brightens you up
Cheers !

I still use one, a grey plastic one but not like the ones we used in the 50's. I keep looking out for ones in second hand tool stalls but they are all narrow in there width. Or, is it like Mars Bars they seem to have been bigger in the 50,s.

This article has brought back memories special opening out fully and then re-folding. There were all kinds of games or tests in folding them back in prescribed numbers like cats cradle or Rubric cube.

One trick the foreman would do would ask to borrow your rule (it was always called a rule as there is only one ruler that is her Majesty Ha Ha Ha :) He would then run it across the circular saw and say that door or window you made yesterday was too small or too big.
you need another rule Ha Ha. I still use a rod at work for survey work which is a 2 M long fold up rule. Hey Ho Happy Days.

I prefer to use a folding rule over a retractable metal tape especially when taking inside measurements. Sliding the little brass extension out is very handy.

For Wizer: :)

"Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen."
-Einstein

Back