Anyone use Trend routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a T5 and a T9 from Trend, and while i cant fault them, i'd much rather have the Makita.

The Trend stuff is expensive (at least here in Norway...) and doesn't give me the feeling i get when i use some of my Makita equipment.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that it's good kit, but rather expensive for what you get IMHO.

I have a Trend T5 and I am not very impressed with it. I would also go for the Makita. I think the De Walt version '615' is a better copy. :wink:

I've had a T9 for a few years now and can't really fault it. I also have a T3, this replaced a Bosch POF500 (I think that was the model number). I've used the T3 for more intricate work like signs and up to now no problems. Can't comment on other makes as I've never used them.

Steve :)

Bassbear81":15tax051 said:
Does anyone rate the Trend T5E?

I was saving for one of these

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Maki ... -23155.htm

I like Makita and I bet it's a wonderful tool, but that's a HUGE amount of money for a 1/4" router. If you're going to spend that much I would have said go down the Bosch route:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44

It gets good reviews.

Mind you, there's this: the model Axminster sellfor £339. It got rave reviews when it launched, but it seems to be available in the USA for $264.12, which is £183.25 (at today's mid-market rates).

Assuming it's made in Europe, Bosch seem to be taking us for fools.

Over the years i have owned a few 1/4" routers

Elu Mof 96e is my most used router,,other than bearing never had any problems, its done 100's of hours of routing

Metabo ofe 1229, is my next favorite router, no problems at all and very well built
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/det ... edium=ncpc

Dewalt 615 good router,but the quality isn't as good as the elu it replaced ( the threads for the fence rods have striped in the base)

Perles 808e has been ok but need a new switch after doing very little work ( its the same machine as the early trend t5)

Trend T 5 has needed 2 variable speed units and it still shuts down under load occasionally

I would go for a dewalt 615, or save for a mafell or other top end router

Since you're looking at that Makita router, I'd advise you to consider the DeWalt DW621K instead. It's got very similar features (dust extraction spout, etc.) but the fence is so much better. I recently got one off eBay for only £125! 8)

It is strange you should mention the stiff plunge on the DW Bassbear as this is the main problem with my T5, whereas my DW615 is as smooth as silk. I have found that the T5 did seem 'tinny' to me, not to mention the base plate being bonded on rather than screwed on. I have two Elu 96E's and can't fault them and I think the DW 615 is a good copy of these but not as good quality of course. I now use my T5 set up for my dovetail jig so I don't have to use the plunge. JMHO. :wink:

I had 2 T5 routers and found them very poor quality and ended up selling them and eventually I splashed out and bought a Festool OF1010

I would recommend the Dewalt 615 I used one at work the other day that belonged to someone else and straight away I could tell it was much better than the Trend ones. I might even buy a 615 myself for everyday work. :D

OPJ":3322w09j said:
Since you're looking at that Makita router, I'd advise you to consider the DeWalt DW621K instead. It's got very similar features (dust extraction spout, etc.) but the fence is so much better. I recently got one off eBay for only £125! 8)

I have had the elu version of this router for years, its superb. Can't fault it.

I recommend the Makita Rp1110c
I wanted a less dusty replacement for an elu96e - the fences and workshop jigs all fit the makita.
I looked at lots, and ended up in a big dealer trying all the machines I didn.t have working knowledge of, trying switches,height adjusters,cutter visibility etc
Matt

OPJ":3iqh1lnw said:

I must admit the fence on the makita does look pretty cheap, ive scraped the trend off the list but will make sure to have closer look at the dewalt.

OPJ - Do you find the plunge on the Dewalt a bit stiff?

Bassbear81":7my1s3u6 said:
OPJ - Do you find the plunge on the Dewalt a bit stiff?

I've only used it a couple of times so far but, it seems fine. I think most routers tend to suffer from this over time where fine dust, pitch and resin gets on to the plunge bars. A quick blast with PTFE spray or similar is usually all that's required to get them plunging sweetly again. :)

I have a T5, excellent machine, I also have a freund 2.25kW and rarely have to get it out rather than the T5

Latest posts

Back