Anyone use this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely worth registering on. Some of the regular posters here are also on there (often see the same questions posted twice).

It's worth registering even if you just use the gallery - regular posts by the likes of Terry Scott (winged work etc) and he often leaves feedback and advice on other people's work that gets posted.

Yes, it's run by the magazine - some questions and solutions from the forum get printed in the mag every month and staff such as Mark Baker and Tegan ? often respond messages.

It's free so why not?

Another forum worth registering with is WOW - masses of fantastic work from round the world. You need an invite to join though.

Duncan

I joined recently after looking or lurking for ages.
It is a good forum with some interesting topics discussed,such as the vacuum chuck one now been discussed,and with some even more beautiful work been shown.
Have a look at Vladimirs carvings in the carving gallery :shock:
Stunning :D
How do you get to be invited to join WOW :?:

Paul.J":e5l2sb86 said:
I joined recently after looking or lurking for ages.
It is a good forum with some interesting topics discussed,such as the vacuum chuck one now been discussed,and with some even more beautiful work been shown.
Have a look at Vladimirs carvings in the carving gallery :shock:
Stunning :D
How do you get to be invited to join WOW :?:

someone has to email u - ill do it if you like, just pm me your real name and email address, creditcard optional.

loz

Blister":pv54uor3 said:
http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=12&SID=2b5azafb3b9cb6e26375d936125dze2e

Just wondering if the site is worth registering on

:p

If you can handle occasional petty arguments spoiling threads then join, - its not the same cosy feeling like here though - :)

GMC's forum is ok. But it's tied to the mag. So it's not as laid back as here. How biased can a magazine's forum be?

The good thing about it is that it's properly managed, unlike here.

Just in case you hadn't realised WOW is actually free, I think Loz is saving up for one of Blister's bargains :lol:

Pete

Paul.J":mwk9gkdj said:
PM sent Loz.
Cheers :D

And back at ya Paul,

That credit card was over the limit though - i need another one.............. :wink:

wizer":2m45rxfz said:

U joking ? - there's little to zero moderation while Mark is away........

loz":3w0bjpbk said:
wizer":3w0bjpbk said:

U joking ? - there's little to zero moderation while Mark is away........

No I'm not joking Loz. I just don't go there often. I just assumed being owned by a large company would mean the overal direction of the forums is better guided than by a guy who basically looks into his forum maybe once a month if we're lucky.

Prompted by Paul's comment about Vacuum Chucks, I'm going to go have a look.

I have often advised people that this is a much better and more amicable/helpful and supportive place to be.

Sometimes the threads there can get out of hand and very personal - too many opinionated ex-spurts around I guess! I often get into trouble there but then maybe I invite it!

It is worth joining to see galleries etc and some discussions, any place where you can learn something is worth looking at and belonging to whether or not you feel it is worth contributing and getting involved is personal choice.

Phil

Hi Guys,

I am a member of both forums. To be honest I think this one is more about woodturners sharing and befriending each other. The institute forum does the sharing part ok, and you can often pick up some good ideas, inspiration and know how but you don't get anything like as much of a friendship feeling through the forum.

Just my opinion, and having said that I still think it is worth staying on both forums.

Regards,

Ben

Do you get bombarded with stuff through the post or phone calls after registering with them? seems like you can`t register without giving them that info?? suppose could always dream up phone number :wink:
Steve

I'm a member on both. The GMC is ok but not as busy as this one or quite as easy to use and navigate around (IMHO) so I tend to only look at the turning section. There are a few over there that have strong opinions and seem to be easily offended. Much nicer over here but well worth keeping an eye over there, lust in case!!

Cheers

Richard

It's possible to browse the forum as a guest - you see everything but can't post. It also won't keep track of what you've seen so you'll have to remember for yourself.
Can't comment on the non-turning areas as I virtually never use them

Back