Anyone seen new Hanks film, 'Greyhound'?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to see this yet. Only seen trailers but like what I see for veracity. Should be a good film.

T I A

John

Thanks for that. I will wait for the DVD. The guy who really made a difference was Capt. Frederick 'Johnny' Walker, RN. (H M S Starling) Problem was like Mitchell of Spitfire fame, Walker worked himself to death; exacerbated his blood pressure and he died of a stroke before the end of the war. No relation by the way.

John

I enjoyed it. Shame my grandfather isn't alive, he was on Atlantic Convoy for years. Though how much he could have added I don't know, he went the entire war without ever seeing the enemy! lol.

If I want to see it soonish it seems I shall have to subscribe to Netflix or summat like that. On balance I might as well wait until the DVD is released.

I read the book on which it is based years ago; ('The Good Shepherd' C.S. Forester.) Damn fine story-telling as you might expect from Forester! If you like Wartime Naval Fiction, and haven't read it, I recommend it. 'The Good Shepherd' makes Douglas Reeman seem a bit 'Boys Own' by comparison. I'd guess that Alistair McClean also read it!

From what I see in the trailers, gungho it might be, but it looks like good film-making! The Americans use slightly different language at sea, For instance the RN doesn't say 'Fire!', unless there is a fire on board. The word is 'Shoot!', with regard to the guns at least! Still the procedure looks fine to me. Here endeth the lesson... 😉

Cheers
John

I enjoyed it. Shame my grandfather isn't alive, he was on Atlantic Convoy for years. Though how much he could have added I don't know, he went the entire war without ever seeing the enemy! lol.
Just like a lot of others Rory.
They didn't see the U boats; they just sank them!

Actually, your Grandfather was a lucky man to survive all that... I remember WWll, but am a bit young to have known much about it. I saw the results of air raids, and watched 'dog fights', way up high, and not knowing what was really going on. However, in the 1950s I got my 'Bluenose Certificate', for 'Northing' the Arctic Circle. I can vouch that it was a bit nippy up there! 😱

Steadying the swinging lamps!

John 👍

It's a great film - really enjoyed it. Exclusive to Apple TV+ I understand. Watch it for free since there's a free trial - otherwise it's £6/month, which can be cancelled at any time (I think!). Worth £6 to watch this movie IMHO :)

Just like a lot of others Rory.
They didn't see the U boats; they just sank them!
John 👍

Sorry I meant quite literally. Convoys ahead of his would be attacked and convoys behind, but his crossings were always uneventful. I am sure they had scares etc but they never had a ship sunk by enemy action (I think some were lost due to weather/collisions). He was an incredibly lucky chap in that regard.

Rather OT but my stepfather was on a landing craft during the D Day landings. He and his best mate signed up for the RN. It took many years to get him to talk about what he went through but he rose 3 ranks in 2 hours waiting to unload at Cherbourg. Wash from an exploding shell caused the landing craft to collide with the harbour, damaging the loading ramp. The Americans took the ramp off with a gas axe so they had to return at full speed to keep the bow high enough not to ship water. On returning to Portsmouth the remaining crew were moved onto another landing craft and sent back, this time dropping anchor just off the coast to await daylight to unload. A passing ship heliographed that they were in a minefield and when it was light enough they could see they were surrounded by floating mines, his only comment was 'We backed out rather carefully'.
There are other stories, as you may imagine, that I won't recount but I cannot travel through Portsmouth without thinking of the experiences of those men and what they were prepared to do.

Just one question with regard to Apple. Is this a live TV channel. If it is is I shall have to buy a TV licence, which I ain't gonna do. Many thanks folks I'm obliged for the information received. As for Portsmouth I regard it as my adopted home. Though I haven't been there for some considerable time.

John

Back