Anyone on here make there own bread ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve M mentioned about using vit C in the recipe. When I've made bread (without a machine I hasten to add) a bit of vit C tablet crushed up made the loaf lighter and also helps it to last longer although it doesn't sound as if that is a problem for most of you :shock: . I've recently experimented with making malt loaf as the kids love it when we are in the UK and have had some success - one recipe uses guiness which the kids aren't so fond of and another uses ovaltine IIRC. I have to say that living in francophone countries we generally do OK for white bread - 15 pence for a biggish baguette -mmmm :wink:

Steve

Steve Maskery":1xbult54 said:
I guess wheat varies just like wood does.

Indeed it does - mainly to do with the gluten content of the grain.(gluten gives the flour elasticity to be able to make dough that will rise,being able to stretch as the yeast ferments)
There are three basic categories of wheat:-
Feed wheat - low gluten,just used as animal feed
Biscuit wheat - medium gluten,can make a dough,but not very elastic
Breadmaking wheat - high gluten.

Andrew (BTEC Ag)

Bread machine here also.

We had very poor results at first. The bread was yeasty no matter what we tried. Parents had no problem with the same machine, we pinch their yeast and flour and still had the same problem.

In the end I deduce the only difference was the water coming out of our tap. So I put it through the britta water filter jug first and hey presto - the perfect loaf!

Worth bearing in mind if your having "quality" problems :)

Cheers

Ed

I make my own wheaten soda bread by hand, (Allinsons Strong Bread Flour, Bran, Bicarb, Salt, yogurt and Vegetable Oil) it stays soft for about 3 days, I have a bread making machine but only use it very occasionally

Can't get on with our bread machine, so it's relegated to the back of a cupboard, probably along with 98% of bread machines in existence. However, my beloved uses the KitchenAid with the dough hook which is a wonderful piece of equipment for kneading. Getting it was almost as good as getting the Sorby lathe - well, nearly almost.......

(I didn't mean I had 98% of the world's breadmakers in the back of my cupboard, in case anyone was to point that out......)

I used to make my own, but now I use a Panasonic SD-253 breadmaker (I've used a few but this one is the best) and find it to be very easy and makes fabulous bread. It only stays fresh for a couple of days, but lets face it, even the stuff you buy in the shops only stays fresh for that long, it's just pumped full of chemicals to make it *seem* fresh for up to a week. I know which one I prefer!

V.

Yum

IMG_1064.jpg

now get me the butter wife :lol:

Blister":184yhmvl said:
I do :lol:

It knocks spots of the shop stuff :lol:

Can make white , brown , wholemeal , granary , pizza base , rolls

Yum

Think I will do one now

:)

My mum used to make raisin, white, brown, sun dried tomato(horribly). :lol:

She hasn`t made any in moths/years. :lol:

You guys have got to try the real stuff: sourdough. I did and failed :cry: but don't let that put you off because if or when you get it right it's
got much more flavour. Sourdough is bread made with a naturally occuring yeast (non-hybrid) that exists in the prescence of lactobaccilli (the stuff that gives yoghurt it's taste) and the bread is leavened over a much longer period. Plenty of info on the net about it.

Back