Anyone on here make there own bread ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I do :lol:

It knocks spots of the shop stuff :lol:

Can make white , brown , wholemeal , granary , pizza base , rolls

Yum

Think I will do one now

:)

Back in the 1970s there was some sort of problem (probably an industrial dispute) and you couldn't get bread for a while. My wife started making ours and, as you say, it's really nice and much better than the shop stuff. At that time it was amazing how many people went into a panic because they couldn't buy it and didn't have a clue how to make it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I use a bread machine to make pizza dough. It has a great kick if you add rosemary and chilli flakes.

I've also got a series of recipes for making slow-rise bread that Thane Prince published back in... oh... 1996? I don't bake this bread as often as I ought to - it's fabulous.

Gill

Don't you find yourself eating far more of it when it's home made?

We've made the odd loaf with the kids using the prepared bread mix. Not yet brave enough to do it properly.

I think Tony posted a recipe a while back I wonder if his website will have a cookery corner? :wink:

Andy

I do all the bread making using a bread making machine...only trouble is it doesn't keep for long but that's not too much of a problem 'cos it disappears down my gullet rather smartly :lol:

When we first got the machine I couldn't get the bread to rise but found out on the net that there are two things that you need to do. The first is to use the 'basic' recipe for just about all loaves (does a large loaf in 2hr 28m on my machine) and secondly to use only liquid fat, all I use now is about a dessert spoon of sunflower oil - Rob

No not cheating

I use a Belling Farmhouse bakery for all mine

Comes out a treat

Lob it all in switch it on and hey presto

Done

I had to alter the recipe a bit as it came out like cake at first but its all sorted now :lol:

I do, and have done for 20-odd years or more. Only now I have a machine to do the donkey work. Actually it does a better job than I do, because it doesn't get bored of kneading.

I use butter in mine, 25g to 450g flour. If you leave out any fat it goes stale very quickly - more fat = longer shelf life. French batons are fatless, which is why they have to be eaten on the same day they are baked, whilst brioche is very rich, and it'll keep a week.I also mix my own flour 2:1 wholemeal to granary.

Some recipes use Vitamin C powder and milk powder. It's supposed to help rise, I think. I don't bother.

But I do find that it matters a lot what sort of flour you use. I buy mine from a mill in Derbyshire in, 18kg at a time. It's always good, but it does differ, depending on the source of his wheat, I guess. The new batch I've just started is very heavy, and I'm having to double the amount of yeast and sugar I use to get the bread to rise the same as the last batch. You will have to experiment a bit.

If I run out and have to buy from the supermarket, I buy Allinson's Wholemeal and Hovis (I think) granary.

Machine or by hand, go for it!

Steve - interesting about the fat, will have to try using a little more. I use the Dove's Farm organic flour from Tesco or JS which seems to work fine in my machine. I also find that the quantity and temperature of the water to be fairly important too...got to be blood heat or maybe just a fraction warmer - Rob

Mrs scrums does and most of it's inedible......though I don't like to mention it....do I ?

I like, I really really like that squidgy, cotton wool stuff that used to be mothers pride.........guess I wuz brung up wrong.

I do, along with my daughter - it is a sort of daddy-daughter bonding thing and results taste great

Never evne seen a bread makig machine though. Surely they take all the fun out of it?

Our favourite is a fruity loaf with lots of apricot pieces in it :D

Tony wrote:
Never evne seen a bread makig machine though.
Available now all over the place, any electrical retailer (Curry, Comet etc) and most larger supermarkets/DIY sheds stock them. Paid about £35 for mine and use it most days and wouldn't be without it now - Rob

woodbloke":2lqj2n7u said:
I also find that the quantity and temperature of the water to be fairly important too...got to be blood heat or maybe just a fraction warmer - Rob

I agree entirely about the quantity. A tablespoon can make all the difference, I guess because we have no control over how long it stays in the "Oven".

I don't know about temperature though. Mine has a 30min period at the start of the cycle where it does noting except warm it up to temperature, before starting a very leisurely and intermittent mixing cycle. I do mine overnight, so whatever the temp when I load it up, it will be room temp by the time it starts. I suppose it's different if you set it going right now, then I can see it making a significant difference. It certainly does by hand.

The other thing you can do by hand is to warm the flour in the microwave before you start.

Another one with a bread-making machine - often put it on the timer on a weekend to wake up to the smell of fresh bread. :D
And as already said,it doesn't stay fresh as long - but so what,the loaf very rarely makes it past breakfast-time - yum. 8)

Andrew

Mr_Grimsdale":i58t2ags said:
Is that Caudwell's Mill at Rowsley? That's where we get ours and the last loaves did seem heavy - thought it was just me. Been told to try Stephen Cluff down the road a bit at Darley Dale.

Yes, that's right. The flavour is good, but it needs a LOT more yeast and sugar. Been buying there for years though, so not inclined to write them off just yet. I guess wheat varies just like wood does.

Who/what is Stephen Cluff? I have to drive through DD to get to Rowsley (/Bakewell Tool Shop/Millers Dale :) )

Yep, used to make loads of it when I was not at work due to illness. Got out of it when I got back into the fray. It's weird, but I only bought some Allinson's bread flour yesterday (Wednesday) Milled in my home town of Castleford, W. Yorks.

As already noted, it doesn't have time to go stale as it vanishes rapidly when loml gets a hold of it. :roll: The smell of fresh baked bread & fresh coffee...........See you at breakfast. :D

cheers, sliver.

Back