Anyone made a Bandsaw Stand?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm looking at buying a 12" SiP bandsaw (one of the £200 ones on eBay) but I'm wondering if I can get away without paying an extra £65 (inc. VAT) on top of that for a cabinet stand.

I reckon it's possible I could make something myself, perhaps something simple out of plywood with a timber frame and castor wheels?

The only things that concerns me though is the weight of the actual saw - just over 70kg. Would a construction like this really be strong enough?

I saw Adam's design for a morticer stand a few months back in GWW and that has inspired me to these thoughts - but, how much lighter is a benchtop mortiser compared to a bandsaw?

If anyone has themselves made a stand of their own, I'd be keen to see what you've gotten up to and how you have done it. I've already searched the forums, with no success unfortunately.

A cabinet stand is ideal for storage in my over-crowded garage-cum-workshop.

Thanks for all your help, as always. I'd really appreciate it.

All the best,

Olly.

Hi Oswaldo
I have the same band saw and I made my own stand and it has been fine, so I would say save yourself the £65 :D

Thanks Colin, but I don't suppose you have any photos you could show me, do you?

I take it this is a cabinet stand and not a frame stand?

Oswaldo, my collegue made one out of mdf (maybe chipboard) side with an old bit of worktop for the top and bottom. I'll try to get a piccy tomorrow (if I remember!). I think you'll be fine with most stands you can make yourself.

mark

Hi Oswaldo

It is a frame stand as it was made from odd bits I had in the workshop at the time :roll: :)
As for pic's, I can have some for you tomorrow :) but it is not all that :)

Oli,

Here is a picture of the small drawer chest stand I made for my EB BAS 315.

Made from bits found in the shop, 3"x2" upright in each corner, 1.5" square top frame with 1/2" ply set in, 3"x1" barers across the base with lockable casters fitted. Skinned with hard board from an old door, the drawers are on screwfix cheap runners.

Thats the only picture I have taken of the thing.

Thanks you guys, you've been a big help already! :D

And thanks AGAIN DaveL! :wink:

I'd feel better off using ply, the roof in my garage does leak after all (ever seen soggy MDF?). Now I just need to find the best prices for some half-decent plywood.

I guess the quality of ply isn't really such an issue then?

Olly put the stand on casters with all 4 locking as you will more than likely want to move the bandsaw to cut larger pieces. Mine had a stand but I mounted it on 18mm ply and fitted the casters . I built a stand (also on casters) for the pillar drill that is heavier than the bandsaw. Used birch ply from B&Q (£30 a sheet) rebated the edges for strength and have had no problems with support
PillarDrill.jpg

Barry

Olly

I just took my BAS316 off it's stand and made an mdf unit for it.

So i have a stand going if you want but a custom base unit uses the space better with the addition of doors and drawers.

Back