Anyone like a challenge.....?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm constantly deeply impressed by all the planning/construction advice found on UKW and would go no further in asking for help in what to put in this unsightly place :oops:

We want built-in wardrobes (as if you can tell ! :oops: ) and so would appreciate any advice. I must apologise to any Sketchupophiles as I'm useless and again would appreciate if anyone could "knock up" a sketch :wink:

Dimensions - 24" deep
95" high
117" wide

I think I'm a competent DIYer - framing shouldn't be a problem, but am struggling when it comes to doors (sliding is out!) as I am rubbish at planning! :oops:
Should I go for full height doors? and if so, how many? Or should I put storage space under half height doors?

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Many thanks - Mark :D

bedroom001.jpg

bedroom002.jpg

bedroom004.jpg

I leave the designing to the wife! I just make 'em.

Roy.

Based on what came with our house I'll make the following suggestions, especially assuming you are new at this stuff.

Tall doors at bottom to about 5'10/6'. Most of these had hanging rails. We eventually added full depth shelves in the bottom - assuming you don't have too many full length dresses to store. Some tall cupboards had multiple shelves.

Short Doors above the Tall Doors provide good storage. Depends a bit on your ceiling height. We eventually added a 2/3 deep shelf in these as with our very high ceilings they were a bit vast without.

Doors are between 500mm - 600mm wide. Keep your sizes consistent, upto 2 sizes in a room is OK arranged in sets. This may help you buy/make standard sized doors.

Design the framing/trimming so you have something simple to scribe to the walls & ceiling as these are rarely flat or straight. Ours had a fillet between 1" and 4" depending on the edge/room involved. I'd recommend 1-2" as this also gives the doors/handles room to open.

Unless you go with flat veneered or laminated doors you may want to buy those in unless you want to practice your planing, etc. The better woodworkers on here can advise you better on this. (We inherited huge amounts of flat laminate and by adding a moulding, paint & paper and better handles improved them no end. )

PS: Check the projects section as a number of very good woodworkers have showcased stuff there. Even if you have to simplify their will be some good ideas there.

Hi Mark

Sliding doors really aren't that difficult, and would be ideal for your installation.

My preferred method of construction is to assemble carcasses for the internals - looks much better when the wardrobes are opened, and makes for easier shelving and hanging arrangements. Adds a bit to the overall cost, but makes for a better job IMO.

Sliding doors could then be installed. You don't say what you wan the wardrobes to be made from - the doors could be anything from a piece of MDF, mass produced vinyl wrapped doors or custom made hardwood doors as on my recent post.

Cheers

Karl

Hi Mark

As Karl says, much better to construct carcasses especially if you're having hinged as opposed to sliding doors. By taking time to make sure the carcasses are square and plumb will make hanging the doors much easier. I'm carcassing fitted robes out of 18mm MFC

2570287727_344aefe88f.jpg

I haven't decided on doors yet, but will prob use MFC. JasonB has some nice pictures of fitted robes he's done.
HTH
Dave

Back