Anyone interested in how to make a door or window......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
with basic tools ? Not just hand tools but the basics like a router a drill and some hand tools .
Would the people that do this for a living be prepared to post on how to do it or show how to do what they do ?
I'm sure it's not just me that started making these things with a basic tool kit and that has paid for the better machines .

What do you envisage? A step-by-step WIP photo kind of tutorial?

If so, i think many members would like to see it. I've made quite a few over the years, but always keen to learn

Jason,

Yes.

I have only made cabinet doors, I will need a new door for the shop soon as the current one is beginning to rot.

That was the idea Tony , Step by step and what tools /materials you need . Leaving out the bigger machines alot of people don't have .

I'd like to see that sort of piece, for my own use, and if it's good I'll point readers of British Woodworking towards it too. So keep me posted as to its progress.

Thanks

Nick

I'm sure all the people that have replied know how to do it anyway , i was thinking more for the people that think they would never be able to make one .

JFC":25lshwhw said:
I'm sure all the people that have replied know how to do it anyway , i was thinking more for the people that think they would never be able to make one .

That must be me then :wink: I could make an attempt but it won't fit in the hole, would be good to see how it's done properly.

Martin

And we can all improve. Pieces for beginners are often very useful as confirmation that we are doing things right, and there's always a chance to learn. I agree that joinery is often under-represented in the woodworking media.

I'd be interested, not that I have enough time to make all the windows and doors I need in my wreck.

Yes very interested. Cabinet doors are one thing, but full sized ones are much more daunting and I'd love to see how a pro goes about it.

Mark

Ahhhhh Jake , i bet you would like a break down of how to make a sash window eh . Again it can be done with just a router a drill and a few hand tools . It's not hard when you know how and a few hours every evening will get it done .

I have to make a pair of doors to for my shed sometime soon, so I would be very interested to see a detailed description of how to do it. Yes please, and lots of pictures.

Bob

You mean there's more to a shop door than some t&g screwed to some 2x2's :shock:

Time I learnt how to make a new door so yeah, bring on the tutorial if anyone is willing to teach :lol:

ok jason, if you have not been flooded., or lost your boat in the thames
tonight, then looks like you volunteered yourself :roll: :lol:

any lessons on doors are always valuable even if you only make cabinet ones, since it can always be modified for other ideas.
so we await your first words and photos :twisted:

paul :wink:

Jason - I think thats a great idea, espeically considering how many of us have recently or not so long ago built a shed, or about to build a shed and need put in some windows or doors.

I still havn't any windows in mine, because I keep putting it off as I find the whole thing quite confusing! I also need to make a frame and panel door for indoors, so i'm sure there are plenty of us out there would like to do this kind of job.

If you are gonna do it, or who-ever, if you need any help with putting it together, I would like to volunteer my services in whichever way I can help.

Hmmmm i don't need to make a door but i could do with a new window at the top of the stairs . The joints are the same as a door anyway :D

Back