Anyone interested in how to make a door or window......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, dare i say it you opened the door :roll: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

i would think what we could all do with is the confidence that we understand the process and thus either can do it ourselves, or can ensure that if we get one made it is correct for the job.

you know you want to do it :roll: :twisted:

ah go on [-o<

paul :wink:

I have to make a new side-entrance door.
I don't mind photographing stages as I do it the way I do it.

If however you are looking for guidance on the accepted ways of making say a framed, ledged and braced door, then I can do that too. Alternatively, it's easier to point you towards 'Building Doors & Entryways' by Craig Weis, or better still 'Modern Practical Joinery' by George Ellis. (Reprint available)

And don't I recall Andy King doing something on this for Good Woodworking?
:D
John

JFC":v783d7sg said:
Hmmmm i don't need to make a door but i could do with a new window at the top of the stairs . The joints are the same as a door anyway :D

Almost....

I was once asked to make a window frame for a builder. I had it in cramps when he called for it.

As he wanted it 'yesterday' he asked, could I take it from the cramps and clout some 4" nails in, to hold it whilst he installed it. He reckoned the brickwork would hold the frame together!

He was probably right, but I pointed him towards the 'Open Range', as he seemed to want a fellow cowboy! I used the frame for a 'cold-frame' in the garden.

Is it any wonder I will never make millions from woodwork?

John :D

I'd like to sign up as another who is interested in the process of door and window making. I've done some frame and panel doors for kitchen units but nothing on a bigger scale. Always willing to learn and I greatly appreciate people who make a living doing this sort of thing taking the time to freely share their knowledge and experience with the rest of us.

Door please JFC! I've been "commissioned" by my sister to make a shed door which suffice to say because of it's dimensions is suitable only for a Hobbitt, hence unable to buy "off the shelf" 8) 8)

A vote for sash windows from me. I have a house full of the boogers. All bout 7 ft tall all needing replacing. :(
Cheers Mike

So JFC, have you started that Window tutorial yet? :wink:

Looking forward to it as I have been thinking of making one recently

Hi everyone,

I've been reading and enjoying this forum for a while, and was struck by the surge of interest in window and door making. I'm only a hobbyist woodworker, without a lot of machinery, but have recently had to make a couple of doors.

I'll try and describe how I went about it. These methods are not strictly conventional, and are not what I would expect a professional to do, but they did work, and did not need a lot of kit. I'm afraid there won't be any pictures of the door as it was in my brother's house which has now been sold.

(And as a newbie I shan't be able to post pictures for a while.)

The door needed to be custom-made as it was a non-standard size - short and a bit wide - to close off a hall passage through to a kitchen. The existing door had been 'modernised' in the fifties and they wanted something more in keeping with the period (Victorian.)

I used a method I had already tried on a smaller door for our airing cupboard. For the frames and stiles I used some reclaimed door lining, which was about four inches wide and an inch and a quarter thick. This was good enough to use as it was, with only a little bit of hand planing to clean up at the end. (No need for a planer/thicknesser.) I glued two pieces edge to edge for the wider centre and bottom rails.

The design was a simple four panel, solid below and glass above.
I cut all the pieces to length, square across, ignoring the need for grooves and joints. (This keeps the measuring and layout simple.)
With the pieces laid out flat in situ, I marked across each joint to position slots for biscuits. All joints were double, using the largest size of biscuit. I did this with a 1/4 inch router with a slotting cutter, supporting the other side of the router on a second piece of stock to keep it level. No need for jigs - just secure each piece and cut by eye to the pencil mark, always working off the same reference face.

For the lower panels I used some decent 12 mm plywood, and routed stopped grooves along the lower pieces. (Two passes of the slotting cutter, the ends squared up with a chisel.) I reasoned that using ply would let me glue the panels all round, giving quite a lot of stiffness to the whole door, and reducing any tendency for excess strain on the joints.

I'm pleased to say that this worked well, and that the door has proved perfectly strong enough.

Having cut the bits and the ply panels, I glued the whole thing up, using two proper Record sash cramps and a third lighter one in the middle. Glue was PVA.

To match the appearance of other doors in the house I added an applied moulding to the front of the ply panels - this was an ogee pine strip from my local DIY shop. I glued this to the face of the ply and to the edge of the stiles/rails - not what you would do with solid wood but it helped increase the stiffness.
I used a similar approach for the glazed panels, with a square edged strip mitred to 'fit the holes' and planted on at the rear. Glass was fitted on site, held in place with a few brads and then fixed with more ogee moulding, mitred to fit and nailed all around. (Btw the door size meant that it would have been ok to use ordinary annealed glass but toughened was only a little bit more and did get fitted.)

To sum up: stock was near enough right proportions for stiles and was doubled for the centre and lower rails. Centre stiles were ripped down and planed a bit narrower, to look right - about 2" square edged. Double biscuits look very short in comparison with full length tenons, but in practice, and because they are not the only source of strength on a fairly small door, they have held up fine in practice. Planted mouldings added up to the right thickness and helped give the right proportions.

Total time taken - three evenings - and I don't work very fast!

I hope this will help someone else tackle a few doors!

Andy.

JFC":c38b3z7u said:
Ahhhhh Jake , i bet you would like a break down of how to make a sash window eh . Again it can be done with just a router a drill and a few hand tools . It's not hard when you know how and a few hours every evening will get it done .

Erm, I'm currently spending my few hours every night plumbing, wiring, then the kitchen install, flooring, tiling, etc. Enough on my plate thanks, I've got to farm some of it out!

I am going to do the front door eventually, when the main renovations are done. And we do have another 12 sash windows to replace at some stage, so sure I'd be interested.

So JFC, have you started that Window tutorial yet?

Give me a chance , i've got over 50 on the go right now .

DSC00295.jpg

Hi all,
Jason, absolutely cracking idea!!!!
You used the magic words 'without a lot of the big machines that some people do not have'. Doors, windows or w.h.y. all interesting to see & learn about.

Sorry, not posted in a while, but have been 'lurking'. Not had anything useful to say so I kept me gob shut. That'll make mrs. S. smirk a bit, I usually finish up with me tongue sunburnt :lol: :lol: .........Well, maybe not this summer eh?
cheers, sliver.

mr":39ad10h5 said:
A vote for sash windows from me. I have a house full of the boogers. All bout 7 ft tall all needing replacing. :(
Cheers Mike

No thanks Mike. I worked my row out repairing and making sash frames and casements in the 1960's. I don't want to go that far back!

Besides, the 'mouse' I had to enable me to thread the cords, died on me! I just couldn't stand the heart-rending task of training another one!

John :D

Wow thats a lot of doors and windows Billy, best you nip out tomorrow and stock up on the filler, :lol:

Thanks for that post AndyT. I look forward to any further tutorials from other members on the subject as I have a door to be replaced, myself.

I'm also very interested in the window tutorial. I've got 20+ to replace in my new home and too want to avoid plastic/PVC.

Perhaps some very rough idea of cost would also be useful as a comparison.

Many Thanks to JFC for the offer of a tutorial on this.

JimJam":3g6zcycn said:
I'm also very interested in the window tutorial. I've got 20+ to replace in my new home and too want to avoid plastic/PVC.

Steve Maskery did an article on this in Good Woodworking about two months ago. It was excellent.

Cheers
Neil

PS you'll be able to get a re-print of the article from GWW.

Latest posts

Back