Anyone going to Harrogate on Friday?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
More specifically,to the North of England Woodworking show,rather than a wander round the quaint town itself :wink:
Never been before,but bought my ticket and booked a days holiday (I still have loads to use up..) so I'm going anyway 8)
But is it any good?
And is anyone else going ?

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I plan to go on Sunday. If you get chance, let us know if you spot any particular bargains etc. :D

Have fun.

Lee.

Hi Andrew, I have been a couple of times and to tell you the truth I wasn't that impressed after the last one last year. It isn't all that big and there were no real bargains to be had. I did have a play with a Woodrat which I had only seen before but apart from that not a lot. I didn't even stay the full day and left after around two hours! Not like me at a show as I usually stay as long as I can. Still you have the ticket and may find it interesting we are not all the same are we?

No bargains to be had? Last year I got the Festo Domino price down and a box of "tenons" value a hundred odd thrown in. Did not buy it though, I just have a lot of routers and a fair number of ways to do what the Domino does.
I have been going to Harrogate many years and always have a good time,
and will do so this year. Chat on to all the workers, take some interest in their day and you won't go wrong. Let us know how it goes.

hi andrew, i will be going on friday, i was last up a couple of years ago and had a great time. i am after the wall mounted camvac and a few bits and bobs. i priced my shopping list up last time and it came to £245.00 i :ho2 got it all for £160.00 so i would say yes you will get some bargains depending on what you want

I went last year and Mailee comments were what I found and visit not to be repeated. On the Friday bargains were hard to find. I bought a pair of Bessey clamps that were the same price as Bessey were offering all year. There were a number of those stalls selling all the cheap 'rubbish' at eBay prices.
Barry

Excellent show at Harrogate and never fail to pick up something useful. The 'best' bargains are always Sunday (naturally), but they are always there if you ask!

Top notch exhibitions and demos for the Pro and Amateur alike. Arrive early before the crowds and if you can, stay till after 4 or so when the crowds leave.

Thanks for all the comments - I'm still going.. :lol:
Saw Mailee's comments on it in another thread after I ordered my ticket :( ,but glad to see there are some positive opinions as well.

Good or bad,at least I will know what to expect for next year;and it must be better than being at work for the day :wink:

Andrew

PowerTool":3pvod4bv said:
Good or bad,at least I will know what to expect for next year;and it must be better than being at work for the day :wink:
Andrew
Let us know how you enjoy it. Hope it is not like last year when snow disrupted the Friday. Traveling was not fun at all. After about 2 PM the show emptied fast but that might have been down to the weather.

Barry

Yes please don't let me put you off Andrew. At least as you say it is better than being at work, which unfortunitely I will be. I may pay another visit to the show but it won't be this year as I have overspent anyway. :oops: I have to admit after reading some of the comments I did attend the show on the Saturday and think now I should have tried on the Sunday instead. Will try again in the future as this seems to be the closest one to me out here in the sticks. Hope you enjoy it. :wink:

I was planning to but after a really disappointing experience at Stafford am a bit down on shows at the moment. I do have friday off but so does swmbo so other priorities may take effect.

Of course it may be worth pulling in a trip to John Boddy's to buy wood at the same time?

If anyone's thinking of making a weekend of it and needs a place to stay you'd struggle to find better than http://www.coldcotes.com/ we stayed there a few months back and it is the best place I've stayed for ages.

Colin

colinc":26akx1q9 said:
Of course it may be worth pulling in a trip to John Boddy's to buy wood at the same time?
Colin

I thought the same - if all else fails,I can call in at Boroughbridge on the way home 8)

Andrew

I now remember what was different at the Harrogate show - most shows you go to are manned by people from the manufacturers or distributors of the product but most stands were manned by resellers from the area. One of the exceptions was the Woodrat stand . The Bessey stand was manned by GMS and the SIP stand was run by a local reseller - the knowledge base was not the same as you usually get.
Barry

Back