Anyone else noticed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in 'The Works' craft shop twice recently, I asked why it was cash only: they said it was because of cyber attacks.
Putin goons? Who knows? Rhetorical question = don't start !

Cards, apple and google pay all charge the retailer - may make small value transactions unprofitable.

But they do avoid cash on the premises - insurance, need for banking, theft etc. Risk of staff fraud in lower value, higher gross margin businesses - eg: pubs, cafes, restaurants, taxis, dry cleaning, etc etc.

Equal and opposite - cash in hand businesses are sometimes loved by small business owners who can (up to a point) avoid declaring taxable income. It is much harder to hide digital transactions from HMRC!

In the UK in 2021 cash was used for only 11% of point of sale transactions. Cash is the modern equivalent of tally sticks, gold and silver coins which in millennia past were replaced by paper notes.

The UK is a very mature democracy. Much of the law is based on precedent and Acts of Parliament going back several hundred years and and still on the statute books.

The Statute of Marlborough is a set of laws passed by the Parliament of England during the reign of Henry III in 1267. The laws comprised 29 chapters, of which four are still in force. Those four chapters constitute the oldest piece of statute law in the United Kingdom still in force as of 2022.

I suspect the law related to legal tender somewhat predates debit and credit cars, and almost certainly digital transactions.

Back