Anyone build a wooden shed lately? Cost effective vs Bought Shed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've built a lot of sheds over the years.
I'm planning to build myself a scaled down version of this when I retire.

Attachments

• Quaker-barns-main.jpg
    Quaker-barns-main.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 8
Looks unnecsessarily expensive.

Cheap shed foundation Nordic style:
Dig a hole under each corner and pack it tight with stones and rocks. Place the largest fieldstne you can move on top of the packing so that it has a flat surface upwards at least a foot above ground. Place a good sized sill course on top of that. Use an axe to shape the sill to the uneven stone so it lays steady and level.

This 16 square metre shed costed me less than 500 euros with foundation and all. I know most of you don't have access to theap timber the way I have but I rekon the foundation concept would work for you too.
lada.JPG

great work Heimlaga, although wouldn't blend in with the environment where I am. Not even the base.

I priced it up last summer and could not beat the shop price the only pain was waiting took months but it was quite individual. 4m x 3m high roof single sloped. It was some company in Leeds but I wouldn't recommend them the customer service was stinking but the shed seems OK so far.

Is a framing nailer worth buying to speed things up?
You should be able to get one on market place, and sell it on when finished.
Should cost you little or nothing.
But the framing nailer won't speed you up as much as the finish nailer, so best get both.
Do you have a compressor?

yep have a compressor. I have a brad nailer - I assume the finish nailer uses a heavier gauge than brads?

Shopping around for the supplier makes a large difference too, there are some suppliers that take it straight off the ships in and deliver who are miles cheaper than main merchants, but you can have what they’ve got, not necessarily all the variety

I like Mike Gs method of using concrete lintels and a suspended floor. However, I have already laid a paving slab base (under the slabs is DPM and hardcore) which would mean wasted money and a lot of wasted energy !

yep have a compressor. I have a brad nailer - I assume the finish nailer uses a heavier gauge than brads?
What I'm referring to as a finish nailer is half way between the two. takes 30 - 60 mm nails. I use it mostly for weatherboard/shiplap.

I built my shed/workshop this year. 4.8m long and 2.4 m wide. Based simply on my shiplap cladding was coming I’m 4.8m lengths. All wood framing and cladding was pressure treated. Roof is flat type with EPDM membrane. All walls, floor and roof insulated with 50mm polystyrene, all internal walls clad in 22mm ply. All ceiling and floors with 22mm OSB. Groundworks we’re straightforward as there was a gravel base from a smaller shed there already. Concrete Blocks laid on top, timbers on top of these so that none of the timbers sit directly on the gravel to avoid direct contact with water. Costs was around £2300. But the quality and strength I built to was way above anything I could have bought. The epdm roof was a dream to install and is good for at least 30 years. I am a fairly basic diy bodger.

Attachments

• 4C96D7AB-FCA1-4013-B441-0550CBDB7452.jpeg
    4C96D7AB-FCA1-4013-B441-0550CBDB7452.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 170F61FA-8780-4E5E-9393-A71B268B9229.jpeg
    170F61FA-8780-4E5E-9393-A71B268B9229.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 4E6840E8-743D-47C8-921A-9D7EAE637533.jpeg
    4E6840E8-743D-47C8-921A-9D7EAE637533.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 49
  • E9F0799E-7346-4710-9840-AAB2D43D4DFE.jpeg
    E9F0799E-7346-4710-9840-AAB2D43D4DFE.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 50
  • A648D19C-2213-4716-9FEE-9DB39E46019C.jpeg
    A648D19C-2213-4716-9FEE-9DB39E46019C.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 50
10ft x 9ft Shiplap. Would like to go for 8ft high walls. Open to suggestions on roof styles
Hi, I'm down the road in Limerick, built a shed 10 yrs ago, concrete insulated base, ducting for power etc, I bought the door and windows (UPVC) from a company here , they were mis ordered stuff, I then built the frame to suit the window size, all 4x2 treated, membrane then shiplap on the outside. Roof trusses the same 4X2. OSB and membrane then coated tile effect roof. Its 3X5 Mtrs. All insulated and lined inside with OSB. Even have a stove in it. The best place for lockdowns! Warm and dry all year round.

I built my shed/workshop this year. 4.8m long and 2.4 m wide. Based simply on my shiplap cladding was coming I’m 4.8m lengths. All wood framing and cladding was pressure treated. Roof is flat type with EPDM membrane. All walls, floor and roof insulated with 50mm polystyrene, all internal walls clad in 22mm ply. All ceiling and floors with 22mm OSB. Groundworks we’re straightforward as there was a gravel base from a smaller shed there already. Concrete Blocks laid on top, timbers on top of these so that none of the timbers sit directly on the gravel to avoid direct contact with water. Costs was around £2300. But the quality and strength I built to was way above anything I could have bought. The epdm roof was a dream to install and is good for at least 30 years. I am a fairly basic diy bodger.
Good job!

No windows?

Hi, I'm down the road in Limerick, built a shed 10 yrs ago, concrete insulated base, ducting for power etc, I bought the door and windows (UPVC) from a company here , they were mis ordered stuff, I then built the frame to suit the window size, all 4x2 treated, membrane then shiplap on the outside. Roof trusses the same 4X2. OSB and membrane then coated tile effect roof. Its 3X5 Mtrs. All insulated and lined inside with OSB. Even have a stove in it. The best place for lockdowns! Warm and dry all year round.

Nice. I will be running power from an adjacent shed. I will drill through the wall of the existing shed. Not sure how to bury the SWA under the foundations of the existing shed

I've built a lot of sheds over the years.
I'm planning to build myself a scaled down version of this when I retire.
Hi Artie, The majority of that sort of barns are built into hillsides with the levelling out bottom section in stone and then timber from there upwards there are hundreds of them around where I am sometimes in Pennsylvania. The bottom section is used for parking the heavy equipment often.
A very quick look and found this one, needs a little bit of tarting up lol.
A3177067-0C5B-4A3A-BDA4-853B66EAAE1F.png

Yep Built my own from scratch end of last year.

100mm wired concrete base with 3 rows of engineering brisk to keep the wood off the floor.

3x2 frame work with 4x2 roof joists.

GRP roof as I had some left over from a extension I built at the beginning of the year. Doing it again I'd use EPDM.

2 hidden sides are Metal box profile cladding. 2 exposed sides are Siberian Larch Board on Board cladding held on with SS screws(£150 just on the screws!!!!!)

Inside is Insulated with either Rockwool or Celotex depending on which wall you talk about as again I had loads left. Its then covered with 18mm Ply so I can hang stuff off it no matter where I want as I'm not restricted by having to screw to a stud.

It's probably cost me the wrong side of £2.5K but its a big shed in a small garden thats going to be hard to hide so it needed to look as nice as I could make it!

(I have no idea why MY computer seems to randomly upload the pictures upside-down!)

Attachments

• tempImageL6lwVG.png
    tempImageL6lwVG.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • tempImage4C28bA.png
    tempImage4C28bA.png
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 6E8895B5-6B75-4CCC-8EAB-E0D619FC8F77.jpeg
    6E8895B5-6B75-4CCC-8EAB-E0D619FC8F77.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 32
  • tempImageYwuzny.png
    tempImageYwuzny.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Building will be better than buying, almost guaranteed.
I was chatting to some "garden room" installers, they were charging £35k for a sips panel building clad in softwood about the size of a single garage, if that, a couple of windows and a bifold door.
I estimate materials would have cost about £7k and there was 2 guys there for a week !
It was fairly nice, they dry lined it and put in lights but really even they knew they were taking thep**s.

Ollie

Last edited:
Back