Anyone build a wooden shed lately? Cost effective vs Bought Shed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone built their own timber shed lately? My metal shed that I have bought recently is for the bin!
Thinking of building my own from pressure treated timber.

Cost effective probably not , cheaper yes but better:unsure: , but if done right anything you make will be be built better/stronger and last far longer than a shop bought one:)

I've made a few sheds for myself and others.

I used to be able to match a 13mm cladding / 36x36 stud shed with a 22mm / 3x2 studs 18mm ply floor and roof if I could build it in a day/w/e for beer money.

Cheers James

When I built mine 5yrs ago, building it myself was a cheaper option for the same timber quality (2x2 studs, 19mm floor, 16mm cladding etc) or for the same cost I could go to better sized/thickness timber, which is what I did.

Timber prices are about double what they were then, but assuming any increase has hit timber and prefabs then I’d expect this to still be the case.

I’ve just built this shed for the local bowls club to replace their 20 year old one that wasn’t for for purpose. 2.8m x 2.8m. It’s based on 4x2 floor, 22mm T&G P5 flooring. 3x2 stud walls, membrane on the frame, counter battened, then feather edge to match existing buildings. Internally lined with 15mm OSB then fitted out to hold the equipment with purpose made racks. Roof is onduline. Cost came in at £650 for materials, half the price of a bought one and probably twice the quality.

8369C630-0BD2-472D-9509-0DB17BE2208D.jpeg
FA71909E-0EC7-4B17-90B4-83D680CFE43F.jpeg
D695DE23-5C51-4B1E-A16E-71F988DBF59C.jpeg
CE9CAA0A-D4C8-43F1-80DE-ECAEE8EE076F.jpeg
A896A4BF-985C-4C68-83CC-907D22108A8F.jpeg
3850562F-DE13-4698-B30C-A197A44888EF.jpeg

I think if you look at the available shed size you need, and price timber up you'll not find too much saving. But that's because people look at cheapest price shed the realise price of timber. But don't realise their build is normally using bigger stronger and thicker timber, if you look at a quality shed with similar materials you'll find you can save a few hundred pounds.

When I built my 8x8 extension onto my 16x8 loglap shed, it ran me to £750 for wood, felt etc. earlier this year.
Sounds a lot, but a comparative shed including insulation, 3/4 plý lined walls and floor, loglap facia was around £1,200.

Simiar views here. "Bunty" cost more than £500, under a grand, to build.
Could have bought ready made and bigger, but that wouldn't have had the concrete lintel base, floor joists, OSB sheeting + feather edge cladding, 3x2 framing, spax etc fixings, torsion box door, EDPM roof, gutters, drainpipes, water buts ...
I wanted a 20 year life and the ability to replace if the cladding got too tired.
IMG-20190705-WA0004.jpg

Happily it's rock solid :)

My best tip. Do your numbers and buy all the timber and sheet in one hit. For me it was a big enough order that the local timber merchant priced at trade rates. It was a big saving.

Last edited:
I asked someone before but they didn't say.
How much do you overlap the featheredge?
On this build it was 35mm on 150mm featheredge so all the boards lined up with the adjoining building 30-40mm is fine. A bit OCD, but I didn’t think non matching board levels would be ‘right’. I also had to make the roof pitch match as well, just for aesthetics.

I used to go my perimeter of shed in meters x20 for the cladding.

Then work out the floor joists required 2' centers and x6 for walls and roof.

Cheers James

FYI

I just brought 22mm v groove cladding in West Yorkshire for £2 /m, 3x2 is a similar price.

Cheers James

I’m over in Ireland unfortunately. Almost embarrassed to ask, but can anyone recommend a book on wooden shed building?

10ft x 9ft Shiplap. Would like to go for 8ft high walls. Open to suggestions on roof styles

Back