Wooden turbines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone planning on building their own wooden wind turbine yet? I see that the Swedish have recently erected a huge wind turbine build of laminated spruce. Apparently 144 of 4mm thick spruce are glued together to form cylinders which are then joined together on site using what appear to be essentially steel dowels. Just illustrates what a truly wondrous material wood is?

I saw the news item about the Swedish turbine the other day. It was only the tower and not the turbine blades. There was a fairly significant saving in carbon, compared to using steel, but there was no reference to what the very outer, surface coating was - the bit that made it water and weather-proof.:unsure:

Linseed oil, on plywood, in an extremely windy and ,exposed location - what could possibly go wrong? :giggle:

Funny you should say this, I have a slightly broken LG direct drive washing machine ( bearings shot ) we have bought a new machine and so I am going to do a science project with the kids where we try and turn it into a wind turbine.
I was thinking of doing the vertical type like a barrel with blades around, should be fun.

Ollie

Funny you should say this, I have a slightly broken LG direct drive washing machine ( bearings shot ) we have bought a new machine and so I am going to do a science project with the kids where we try and turn it into a wind turbine.
I was thinking of doing the vertical type like a barrel with blades around, should be fun.

Ollie
Start a thread and keep us updated. Please.

There is an example of this on a factory/office you can see whilst driving towards Maidstone on the M25, its an open structure with helical blades, I have no more information on this, its just an observation.

Latest posts

Back