anybody made a snooker cue any tips & pointers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graycbr

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys
Thinking of making 3/4 butt snooker cue & wondering how hard & costs of doing this ...
I know I can buy a cue made of ash/maple etc for £60-£100 ..
But would like to have a go myself .. But where to source good wood ?
Plus any pointers & tips on how to make these ..

Hello,

Yes I can confirm that snooker cues do have tips but I'm a little uncertain about pointers.

Maybe somebody else can weigh in on that one.

I found a snooker cue tip with a laser does the count as a pointer?
laser-cue-1.jpg

Sorry, on a more serious note I have no experience, none at all.

Matt

Attachments

• laser-cue-1.jpg
    laser-cue-1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 171
I bought a couple of snooker cue blanks before Christmas from the Workshop Heaven sale. A Birdseye maple and an Ebony one. I got the impression that they weren't their usual stock though.

I did make one a long long time ago, used an old broom handle. :)

wouldn't advise you do this but it would be a good way to learn how to do it before you spend the cash on a nice chunk of something.

spoke shave or a hand plane, the joy of a hand plane you will get nice uniform tapers, the spoke shave can be set more aggressive though, so good for fast stock removal, although you really don't need that.

ferrels and fittings aren't something you can pick up at your local hardware store (not quite true for a ferral) so you'll need to do some digging for parts or make a 1 piece (which is what I did) or find someone with a lathe to turn you up a set.

other than that, good look.

I believe the cheaper ones are. One thing I remember from reading an article in the woodworking press 20+ years ago on Peradon and Fletcher is that apparently their standard cues are 147cm long an easy one to remember. A friend at the time said this was rubbish, but I preferred to believe the MD of the firm that was making iirc 3000 cues a week.

Back