Any music types on here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackrodd":3o0y2ypb said:
whiskywill":3o0y2ypb said:
A clue - "regular guitar player"

AAHHH! The handsome fellow with the sawn off trousers.
Rodders

The photograph was taken during one of our summer outdoor practice sessions. It is at the ruins of Ogmore Castle near Bridgend. We meet up every Wednesday evening and if the weather is good it sometimes becomes a spontaneous outdoor show.

Very nice.
My contribution to music this morning - I've just helped move a piano.

I'm very much in the same situation as Silverbirch - just play along with chord sequences, either strumming of fingerpicking. I also play (?) clarinet when I get time. Been at both guitar and clarinet for nearly 50 years but never really got down to serious work with them.

I also like listening to music, things like early Van Morisson, Leonard Cohen, lots of classical stuff - again when I get time.

K

graduate_owner":23ldh0ak said:
....... Been at both guitar and clarinet for nearly 50 years but never really got down to serious work with them......
My current theory as a late re-starter is that getting down to the serious stuff is the problem not the solution - in that a lot of aspiring players are always trying stuff beyond their ability and so never play anything well. You have to get back to basics, page one, simple tunes and play them well, before moving on.
In our group (of late re-starters) there was a birthday yet non of us could spontaneously pick out the tune "Happy Birthday" even though all of us had been trying more difficult stuff over the years.
If you can't just pick it up and play a simple tune I think you haven't even begun. So I've been doing just that; Happy Birthday, Baa baa black sheep, Twinkle twinkle little star, various hymns and carols etc. just picking them out on one string (by ear/finger, no music) before attempting to play across the strings. Not easy at first - getting easier! I see at as daily exercise number 1 every day. It gets your ears in tune and you learn scales in the process.
Also playing harder stuff, but always getting back to basics.

I can read music and I've never had a problem with picking out a tune by ear either on guitar or clarinet, I can visualise the notes and could write the music on a stave provided it isn't too awkward a key. What I can't do is improvise effectively. I've read about the pentatonic scale etc but haven't got to grips with it yet.

K

graduate_owner":335jlo19 said:
I can read music and I've never had a problem with picking out a tune by ear either on guitar or clarinet, I can visualise the notes and could write the music on a stave provided it isn't too awkward a key. What I can't do is improvise effectively. I've read about the pentatonic scale etc but haven't got to grips with it yet.

K
Start here (I am told):
Am pentatonic: A C D E G
Spells CAGED if you forget - but not to confuse with the "CAGED" chord/scale system which is another thing
Just play them up and down, round and round, and you are off! (in Am at least).

It's the same scale as the black keys on a keyboard which gives you E flat minor pentatonic (I think) and various other interesting scales.

yep,play guitar,bass,uke,some keys,and just about finished my first guitar build,telecaster,it want well,just need to order the pickups and finish it,but got distracted with my new hobby,and lathe build which is on it's way to being finished,anyway welcome to the forum,sure i'm only new also ha,cheers.hahaha only realised how old this thread is,back at the ranch :?

I'm a pretty badass guitar player, currently learning 'cavatina' by john williams as a performance piece, I use finger memory to remember the sequence so I don't need the score anymore, oh and I've got grade 8 rockschool and grade 8 music theory.

Back in the 70's my music teacher decided that i had no musical ability whatsoever & i assumed this to be true. Years later my son took up classical guitar at a local music school & got pretty good. Then just over 2 years ago we were at a small blues gig at our yacht club, the guitarist had amongst his rack of guitars a 4 string cigar box guitar, another friend mentioned that he had a pile of cigar boxes in his loft. And so my son & i built one each, his is a 4 stringer mine is three. A cigar box guitar tuned to an open tuning (my first was GDG) gives a power chord on any fret position, playing blues or rock becomes rather simpler & you have half the number of strings to balls up on!
To my surprise i found that yes i could learn to play this thing and play it every day.
As is the nature of the things one became many until the lounge is full of them, all different all fascinating. Some are better than others but the best of them have a fantastic tone. Im afraid i have a bad disease as i cant stop making them.
Much to my sons disgust i have also found that i can listen to the radio or you tube & pick a tune out by ear very quickly so my old music teacher was wrong! Im 55 & have been playing for 2 years & wish i had discovered these a long time ago.
And now i just downloaded a set of plans for a hurdy gurdy, nothing like a challenge!

goldspanner":3n8lnkpo said:
Long time guitarist, and recently synth dabler.

Good to meet you!
Alex

+1 for the guitar (Gibson Manic! Jazz is my preferred field.)
Currently looking for a Yamaha Digital piano, to pick up where I left off learning.
Well it's another reason to keep going at my age!

John

guitar, ukulele and harmonica.

rubbish at all of them, don't care, I enjoy it.

have an 1970's eko acoustic and a 1980's sunn mustang electric (fender before they decided to add the squire range, mine's american made and heavy as hell, shortly afterwards they shipped the production out to china).

I like the uke and the harmonica, I can take them with me when I travel for work. :)

Three harps to my name thus far, plus one on the go ( which keeps being pushed to the back of the list by other jobs, currently a large oak bench to match the dining table) and a stalled project from a few years back which 'will' be revived eventually.
My playing is several steps behind my making in terms of development.

Back