Any music types on here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome (from a relative newbie too)!

I'm a guitarist and singer and occasionally still pick up my trumpet.
I also work in the music recording industry for an equipment manufacturer.

How about you?

Guitar-y type here too, made a couple, play them not too well. There are a few acoustic instrument builders on the forum, so if that is the way you would like to go, a fair bit of advice can be had.

Welcome, and enjoy!

Adam S

Acoustic instrument maker and regular guitar player in an eleven piece (when we all turn up) traditional Celtic (Irish/Welsh/Breton/a bit of Scottish) music band.

whiskywill":15qsdlbn said:
Acoustic instrument maker and regular guitar player in an eleven piece (when we all turn up) traditional Celtic (Irish/Welsh/Breton/a bit of Scottish) music band.

And which one are you, in the above gathering, may I ask?
rodders

5 string banjo, guitar - acoustic and classical. Born again - started 50 years ago without getting very far so now trying again before it's too late!
A lot of people are in the same boat it seems - owning instruments they can't really play.

Here's a simple test - can you, without rehearsal, sheet-music or any other aid, pick out a simple tune like "Happy Birthday"?
Many people can't, even though they have been their way through some quite complicated formal pieces.
I feel that if you can't do it then you have not really begun at all, and I'm making tune picking a priority.
Also a lot of sight reading - one target is to be able to play anything from O'Neill's 1001 on sight, up the fretboard too.
And scales, theory etc :roll:
So much to do, so little time!

Hi, welcome.
Active gig goer and listener. Everything from Cohen to Slipknot and Biffy to Plan B \:D/

Welcome to the forum. Guitar player - turned bass player in a band (just for fun though) love listening to most kinds of music esp punk, hardcore, rock, reggae, ska, hiphop

I play Nylon strung Guitar a little, unfortunately not to a decent standard. I've tried (attempted?) Folk, Flamenco and Classical. Now it's the height of Brazilian Jazz - Bonfa, Powell etc. Somehow I think it will be another short lived attempt. . .
Oh and sometime in the distant past I also tried the Piano, Harmonica, Recorder and the Violin. Every one was a very brief encounter.

MIGNAL":1jyrn4qk said:
I play Nylon strung Guitar a little, unfortunately not to a decent standard. I've tried (attempted?) Folk, Flamenco and Classical. Now it's the height of Brazilian Jazz - Bonfa, Powell etc. Somehow I think it will be another short lived attempt. . .
Oh and sometime in the distant past I also tried the Piano, Harmonica, Recorder and the Violin. Every one was a very brief encounter.
That's exactly how it is for a lot of people me included. I've been asking myself how to break out of this vicious cycle and coming up with some ideas:
1 Admit it, have no shame, a bit like Alcoholics Anonymous: "My name is ....., I've had a guitar for 50 years and still can't play it"
2 Get back to absolute basics and don't skimp on any of the details this time around. I recently bought Bert Weedon's "Play in a Day". I had it 50 years ago (it's been a long day :roll: ) and I can see what I was skipping.
3 get on the net. There's some amazing instructional stuff on youtube.
4 Buy loads of books. What one misses another will cover and they have play along CDs. They are a lot cheaper (and may be better value) than lessons.
5 Have some lessons too.

In fact I think we have a golden age of musical instruction. There is masses of stuff available now which was unheard of a few years back.

The key thing above all others is to see it as a craft learning process like woodwork; any fool can do it if they follow the right steps, no mysterious "talent" or "innate ability" required - you just keep at it remorselessly and it slowly gets better.

Jacob":3kzg1j6x said:
MIGNAL":3kzg1j6x said:
That's exactly how it is for a lot of people me included. I've been asking myself how to break out of this vicious cycle and coming up with some ideas:
1 Admit it, have no shame, a bit like Alcoholics Anonymous: "My name is ....., I've had a guitar for 50 years and still can't play it"
2 Get back to absolute basics and don't skimp on any of the details this time around. I recently bought Bert Weedon's "Play in a Day". I had it 50 years ago (it's been a long day :roll: ) and I can see what I was skipping.
3 get on the net. There's some amazing instructional stuff on youtube.
4 Buy loads of books. What one misses another will cover and they have play along CDs

And stay away from anything resembling 'Suzuki' methodology.

I've long lost count the number of books that I have. Dozens. I've literally seen hundreds of instructional You tube Videos. 35 years ago I was taking lessons. My 'problem' isn't one of being unmusical, it's more related to the pyschology of it. Dysfunctional tension can be a real killer when it comes to playing an instrument. In fact mine is so ingrained that even an Alexander teacher did little to alleviate the problem. The good news is that things are improving, it's just taking many years though.

I don't know anything about "Dysfunctional tension" but I'd guess that lowering your aspirations might help.
It's helping me - just accepting that I'm cr&p at it makes it easier - no shame in playing only very simple tunes. "Cluck Old Hen" is current favourite - a simple banjo version here and there's loads more on line for other instruments

Ever since I was a young teenager, I've always had a guitar around the house. I'd look at it and think to myself "I'm going to learn to play you one day". I have.......sort of. I can play bits of lots of songs. My two sons also developed a love of guitars too. When they both still lived at home, our collection of guitars amounted to 13 including a couple of bass guitars. My eldest son helped one of his schoolmates learn to play guitar, he must have done a fairly good job. His old mate plays in a band who headlined on Sunday night at Glastonbury last year.

Dave

Latest posts

Back