Any good sources for learning sketchup to create woodworking projects?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Cheetham

Established Member
Reaction score
I designed my own workshop from the ground up using sketchup. Since its been built though I have completely forgot how to use it near enough. Before I start with the same couple of videos on youtube I used to learn it previously (very loosly i may add lol) are there any good books or youtube channels/websites I can look at to learn how to design projects.
Im wanting to start designing a couple of benches. One being an assembly/outfeed table and the other a mitre saw flip top station.

Any good resources or information would be greatly apprciated. Thanks :) (y)

I don't know which youtube to follow but there are tons of them.
The only way to really learn this type of software is to use it to actually design some stuff.
I don't like sketchup anymore as I found fusion 360 which, in my opinion is vastly superior.
My method for learning this type of software is to have my phone next to my pc.
When I get stuck with something I look for my specific problem on youtube with the phone and follow as I go on with the design.
This way you can proceed with the project and learn as you need to.
Better to do it with a thing you actually need like your benches.
Also, your brain probably still remembers how to do it you just need do some work on it and it will come back to you.

Ollie

I don't know which youtube to follow but there are tons of them.
The only way to really learn this type of software is to use it to actually design some stuff.
I don't like sketchup anymore as I found fusion 360 which, in my opinion is vastly superior.
My method for learning this type of software is to have my phone next to my pc.
When I get stuck with something I look for my specific problem on youtube with the phone and follow as I go on with the design.
This way you can proceed with the project and learn as you need to.
Better to do it with a thing you actually need like your benches.
Also, your brain probably still remembers how to do it you just need do some work on it and it will come back to you.

Ollie
I lilke your thinking. Defintetly a good approach to learning I would say. And yes your rite im hoping once I get back into it again it all starts coming back to me lol. Thanks for the input

I designed my workshop using the free 2017 version of SketchUp, and still use this version today. One of the best online tutorial sources I found is The SketchUpEssentials by Justin Geis. Here are his playlists for shop construction and woodworkers.

Thanks for the input. I think ive seen this channel before and heard good things so will definetly give it a look. I also found a keyboard shortcut pdf which I think ill print out and keep next to me when needed. Seems like it will come in handy. Thanks again

Fusion 360 was great for hobby use until they removed a ton of stuff and hid it behind the licence requirement. I think Onshape is even better than Fusion 360, it was designed by a breakaway team who developed Solid Works, so a full blown system. It’s cloud based so you don’t need a super high end computer to run it, just about anything will do it. They have superb library’s of learning material. For free use, your only sacrifice is that any work is public, anyone can see it. However you can buy a licence from 1 month upwards for professional use. So for contracting, thats very useful.

Back