another workshop build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druster

Established Member
Reaction score
please bear with me on this one, it may take some time.
I am planning on building a new workshop in my garden. I am hoping to squeeze past the planners a 5*10 metre workshop. I am in a conservation area so have to make an application for everything.
I currently have a 4*8 shed on the site which is falling down and has a mud floor so hope to replace it!
I am aiming for the concrete pad timber frame construction, I may have to put a pan tile roof on as that is the vernacular.
My question at this stage relates to construction method, I have just finished converting a barn and have four rsj's all about 4m long and wondered if I could incorporate them into the design somehow, I have only ever used them on brick piers as lintels and am wondering whether it is possible to use them or even worth it,
look forward to advice, and will keep you informed on progress,
cheers,
Dru

Well.. I've been thinking about this since last night now... If your girders are 4M long, and your workshop's going to be 5x10M, then I don't see an obvious place to use them in the construction... 2 of them joined together is 8M isn't much use either.

Best I could think of was to run a girder overhead so you can use a pulley+girder trolley to move heavy things around.

lintels is what I was thinking as well, for a sliding door entry maybe!
my other thought was having pillars intruding like stub walls then using the steels as the cross menber in a king post truss and purlin roof structure therefore reducing the need for so many trussed rafters.
I was wondering whether they would need to sit on a brick pier or would a beefy bit of studding suffice, bearing in mind that these are taking a fair chunk of roof weight.
I am intending to turn big lumps of wood so was also hoping to utilise one to run a hoist along.
your thoughts would be appreciated,
cheers,
dru

Back