Turning old farm building into workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have the tools, but you would need to take one of the original trusses apart and copy that to make templets to use on all the others.

Measure the width of the building and ensure the width of the trusses are the same and set up a production line downstairs and cut all of the components. Best not take the whole roof off in one go as that's a massive project for a beginner. Best to start with 5 trusses at a time so that you get into the swing of it.

It also looks like you might be able to get away with repairs or just new rafters on some of the trusses. Replace the wall plate (that's the bit of timber the trusses sit on) and the lintels as you go along.

It doesn't look too bad really and will look a lot more doable once you tidy the floor and get a few trusses up.

You haven't picked the best time of year for such a project, but as you work offshore you should be used to a bit of weather.

You've got a valley, so you need to look at what's going on with that too. It's not a straightforward roof as it relies on the adjacent roof for waterproofing......It's a lot of work and will easily eat up your three months.

Attachments

• IMG_6961.jpeg
    IMG_6961.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6956.jpeg
    IMG_6956.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6959.jpeg
    IMG_6959.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I know nothing about this sort of work, but would a basic bandsaw speed up those joints. Needn't cost much and could be sold on if no longer required.

That’s what I was thinking. Anyone got any recommendations? Would be willing to get something reasonably good.

That looks like a roof that somebody decided wasn't going to blow away, easily. :unsure: We have robustly constructed roofs in this part of the world, as well, with large trusses and sarking, being commonplace.

I don't really associate pantiles with Scotland. It does seem to be an east-coast. thing, though it's a lot more common in Norfolk and Lincolnshire. Which might be the best place to look for them in, architectural salvage yards.

@Adam W has laid out a good basic way to proceed with the work,-sorting the roof out being the key. If you are going to maintain the character of the building, at least on the outside, then it is just a matter of measuring and copying what is there. This will become a lot easier when you have the first truss finished.
Best of luck.

Niall

That’s what I was thinking. Anyone got any recommendations? Would be willing to get something reasonably good.

That looks like a roof that somebody decided wasn't going to blow away, easily. :unsure: We have robustly constructed roofs in this part of the world, as well, with large trusses and sarking, being commonplace.

I don't really associate pantiles with Scotland. It does seem to be an east-coast. thing, though it's a lot more common in Norfolk and Lincolnshire. Which might be the best place to look for them in, architectural salvage yards.

@Adam W has laid out a good basic way to proceed with the work,-sorting the roof out being the key. If you are going to maintain the character of the building, at least on the outside, then it is just a matter of measuring and copying what is there. This will become a lot easier when you have the first truss finished.
Best of luck.

Niall
I think I have all the pantiles required, there was another barn that was past saving that has been scavenged. Pantiles are pretty traditional around the East of Scotland, trade with the Netherlands is the reason supposedly, they were brought back as ballast.

What a great project, bringing that barn back into good condition will be an amazing outcome. Sounds like you’re willing to get stuck in and learn which is the attitude you’ll need.

Technically others have provided advice beyond my knowledge. My starting point would be to get one of the trusses down to measure and copy, as others have suggested. One other point raised that I think is easily missed is to my eye those trusses are not all identical, some seem to end at different points in the wall structure. Beware setting up a production line unless you’re certain they are all the same.

Good luck.

Fitz

Best of luck.

Niall
Good that you are sorted with the pantiles as they can be a bit tricky to match. They were even quite common in London at one point in time. Now, apart from a few green glazed 1930's ones they have largely disappeared, Though one old property I worked on in Greenwich still had them.

Depends on the size of wood that you are cutting. Most 14" bandsaws would do the job for you I would imagine, but second hand is the way to go and bigger is always better:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14544415...YEwcw==|tkp:Bk9SR6KUxLmBYw&LH_ItemCondition=4Many are collection only, so would be a long way for you to drive.
If buying new, chuck the supplied blade away and get some decent ones from Tuffsaws or some other relaible supplier.

Depends on the size of wood that you are cutting. Most 14" bandsaws would do the job for you I would imagine, but second hand is the way to go and bigger is always better:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14544415...YEwcw==|tkp:Bk9SR6KUxLmBYw&LH_ItemCondition=4Many are collection only, so would be a long way for you to drive.
If buying new, chuck the supplied blade away and get some decent ones from Tuffsaws or some other relaible supplier.
Hiring might be the answer. Reckon I could get them all done in a week.

Alright lads I now have a plan! Still not sure what to do about the sarking/membrane issue. First thing to do is clear out all the junk, which may take a while!

Nice project, in theory all fairly basic work, all doable with only a basic set of tools.

I'd be inclined to strip all the tiles off and sarking, and buy a tarp you can put over it when needed, then get measurements for the rise and run and ascertain the pitch angle, looking at the picture you will probably need to account for different rafter lengths, but once you've got your pitch, measuring or calculating them is fairly simple, plenty of online apps to help there.

A good investment would be framing or rafter speed square: Speed square, (I prefer this type as the angle can be pre set) it is then easy to mark your plumb and seat cutting angles, or push the boat out! and go for one of these: Ultimate square its also worth looking at Dan's videos generally about roof cutting: Videos

I strongly advise putting a roofing membrane on it, as when it has snowed and starts thawing, water will come in, with the tiles you are using.

Back