Another tool idea.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philip sewell

Established Member
Reaction score
SIcompass11.jpg
SIcompass17.jpg
SIcompass15.jpg
SIcompass12.jpg
SIcompass1.jpg
SIcompass3.jpg
SIcompass4.jpg
SIcompass2.jpg
SIcompass7.jpg

Some years ago I bodged together a large compass for setting out which has been extremely useful. I’ve developed the concept into a kit where you machine the timber (roughly 31 x 20) to the size of compass you want and add my bits to the ends.

I’m sure someone else has already done this but I’ve never come across anything commercially made.

The pencil/scribe holders (delrin) pivot so you can always set them perpendicular to the work piece.

The pivoting holders also make it much easier to set to an already marked out pencil line.

The pencil/scribe holders can also be used independently to make trammels. This opens up the scope for drawing very large circles.

I know you can buy trammel sets but I’ve always found them problematic to set up. With my device you set the pencil holder up near the radius arc already marked then fine adjust by pivoting the holder to get it spot on.

I had some useful comments about the scribers and changed some things following those comments so helpful comments much appreciated.

There won't be much of a market for this sort of thing so on my quest to try and diversify my income stream I’ve bought a tool and cutter grinder which I’ve renovated and am experimenting with regrinding tc router cutters. I've got loads of cutters I've accumulated over the years so plenty to practice on!

Philip

Yes very nice, not sure I would have a use for it I’m afraid. It does remind me of many years ago you could buy cast ends to fit your own bit of wood for use as a sash cramp. Ian

I think such things were quite common when drawings were done by hand, Riefler being one make of them I think? I’m only going by what I’ve seen in museums, I’ve only seen a drawing board once and it was used as a doughnut stand

Aidan

the locking mechanism looks very user friendly. At the larger diameter the whole thing looks quite unweildy, though the adjustable angle of the point and pencil does look helpful. reminds me of the chalkboard compasses from maths class

Thanks for all the comments.

It’s usual to go from a drawing to laying out parts of a project full size on a sheet of mdf, that’s when having a large compass is very useful.

I think it will be more useful for commercial workshops that are doing larger projects.

The photo shows me striking an arc with 1100mm legs, not at all unwieldy at that size. Anything over 1500mm and the legs start to get a bit whippy. You can add a cross brace to stop that or go on to using them as trammels on a beam where there is scope for drawing very large diameter circles.

Philip.

Back