Another SU Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
So, for those who drew the handplanes in Steve's first SU Challenge, this next one should be a breeze.

Choose a workbench plan from your favorite (or second favorite) wooddorking magazine or from a book. Draw the bench to the dimensions in the plan.

Rules:
°Do not modify it. Draw it per the plans.
°Draw every part so the bench model could be disassembled into its individual pieces.
°Do not dimension it.
°Do not include hardware such as screws or bolts. You may include vises if you wish.

Post images of the bench in this thread. You can do WIP pics if desired.

The idea is to learn how to construct a 3D model that can be turned into shop drawings that could be givien to another woodworker and from which they could build the bench.

With the final images, please include SKP file size and The number of faces and lines from the Statistics info under Model Info. Part of the grade will have to do with efficiency. ;)

Any takers?

I'm in - how's this? :wink:

bench1.jpg

Seriously, I'll give it a try...

Gidon, yes. Draw the joiinery. If it requires bolts or screws, draw the holes including counterbores and countersinks. The idea is to be able to turn this drawing into a working drawing that could be used in the shop.

By the way, I'd like it if, when you post your drawings you include a bit of text talking about what new techniques you might have learned. Anything that might help the rest to learn. Feel free to post anything you think would be a tip for someone else.

Well as promised - I found this straightforward bench in FWW's archives.
Designed by Richard Starr it uses simple knockdown joinery. I've yet to model all the fixings but here's the bench sketched to the actual dimesions of the original. I wouldn't say I've learnt much new so far but what's impressed me is just how quickly you can do something like this in SU with very little experience - this took me - a relative newbie - less than 20 mins.
workbench.jpg

Cheers
Gidon

Very good. Now, out of curiosity, how many components do you have? How many groups? Do you plan to add the joinery?

Here's a bench I started last week. I haven't had time to get back to it to finish it but there's not much left to do. This is from a FWW article by Jon Leppo. I discovered while drawing it that some of the dimensions shown in the drawings included with the article don't work. I think working through a plan and redrawing it is a good way to find these problems before you've committed your precious lumber.

Actually, redrawing the plan is a process that is highly recommended for boat builders. Frequently errors are found in the table of offsets the designer has developed for the boat. The builder will typically loft the boat full size onto the shop floor or panels made up for the purpose. There are enough cross checks that if one of the offsets is wrong, it can generally be caught at the lofting stage.

I think it would be a good idea to work through that sort of thing whenever working from plans drawn by someone else.

LeppoBenchTransparent.jpg

Dave
7 components - no groups. Yep plan to add joinery (KD fittings) - will take a lot longer to do those details ...
Nice effort on yours ...
Cheers
Gidon

I see now. I had missed those in my count.

Good work. Now, after drilling some holes for the KD hardware, how about making a construction drawing from that model? With seven components you only need to show seven parts for your cutting plan. All the dimensions of the parts can be shown there with overall dimensions shown in a 3D drawing. Spacing between the slats for the bottom shelf only needs to be indicated with a note.

Try using multiple pages and consider making a 3 view page something like this.
bench3view.jpg

Hi Dave,
OK, I'll bite :)

How do you do the first angle orthographic view? (or is it 3rd - I never could remember which was which). Is it the same model copied into 3 different positions, or is it a true FAO (or TAO) view? This is one of the few things I'm still using AutoCad for.

Cheers
Steve

It's easy as pie. Here's a 3D view of the stuff in the previous view. I made 3 copies of the bench away from the original version. I rotated and positioned them and then with perspective turned off (Camera menu) I set the orthognal view as you saw it. If I hadn't made all the parts of the original bench components, this would have really loaded up the file. Since they are all components it doesn't.

bench3view3D.jpg

Steve Maskery":3pvjbdrm said:
... or is it a true FAO (or TAO) view?

Neither and/or Both! Dave has used TA for the plan and FA for the side elevation.

I just make it up as I go along. ;) I probably should relearn all that stuff so I can make a proper display of the three views. For myself it never really matters because I can usually remember what I did to get to that point.

Should I correct it and repost it?

Dave,

As you say if it's for your own use then who cares.

The way I remember the difference between the two is that with 1st Angle you draw what you would see if you rolled the object to that position, with 3rd Angle you draw what you would see if you stood in that position. Not stunningly easy to remember, I know, but somehow it stuck in my mind.

Thanks Nick. How's this?
bench3view3D3rdA.jpg

Out of curiosity, what would be the proper way to display the three views if the top front and right end are of interest?

Oh, and I think my display method comes from being left handed. ;)

Latest posts

Back