Another New Yankee Style Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still building this but progress has slowed significantly due to holidays, work, other projects and watching too much olympics. I am still trying to do bits here and there though.

I've cut the hole for the plate as follows. The plate is from Rockler and for the big Triton.

First, the plate is placed on a piece of MDF and smaller pieces stuck around it using double sided tape

IMG_2488_zps28cda3ab.jpg

I then used a bearing guided flush trimmer to cut the template through

IMG_2489_zpsb8f9cc0e.jpg

IMG_2490_zps6fd21512.jpg

Guides removed to give the finished templates.

IMG_2491_zps6710ce01.jpg

IMG_2492_zpsc99acf5b.jpg

Mark

Its then just a case of clampingit to the top and router the hole

IMG_2565_zps4a3f4d73.jpg

IMG_2566_zpsb0865dc8.jpg

I then realised I had routed too much of the corners away and had to stick a bit back on, doh :oops:

Bare MDF sealed with paint

IMG_2746_zpscb70f595.jpg

i have fogotten to take a photo of the plate in the top

Mark

Thanks Eric
Progress has slowed but still continues, I have a few updates and will post when I have time

Mark

The worlds slowest router table build has been continuing.
Next job was to continue to work on the top, router out for the t tracks, using a couple of guides. I had made the guides previously and they are slightly too short for the top, so i just routed a bit then slid the along and it turned out fine.

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

You will see there is one track along the long side for clamping down featherboards etc. Then there are 2 stopped tracks which the fence will clamp down to.

Then just cutting the tracks to length, rounding off the ends of the short tracks with a file and fixing in

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

Mark

Couple of other bits and bobs done

Blocks screwed to the underside of the top to keep it in place

IMG_3402.jpg

This picture shows my original attempt at routing the hole for the plate, complete cock up.

You might have spotted that behind the section in the base where the router hangs and behind the small drawers is a space. This is where my extraction piping will go. I've got an idea on how the piping will work but still not completely sorted yet. Anyway the back propper needs to go on over this space. It will have a removable panel to get at the pipes easily and also change it about if its not working very well.

Panel jigsawed out and then trimmed straight with the router and guide rail

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

Corners chiseled out square

IMG_3793.jpg

The inner edge had a thin strip of oak stuck on then it was screwed to the back of the cabinet. Sorry the photo is a bit close up, I'll take one from further back another time. You can also see a triangle of wood stuck on the inside across the corner which will support the back panel.

IMG_3392.jpg

The insert I jigsawed out was then squared on the table saw

IMG_3791.jpg

The insert also then had a thin edge of oak applied and a couple of blocks screwed on. These will sit inside the back frame to hold it in place and I'll just screw a toggle to th etop to hold the whole thing in place

IMG_3398.jpg

Mark

Other thing done was a full size drawing of the fence, which I needed to do in order to know where to route the t tracks.

IMG_3330-1.jpg

I've made good progress on the fence and will post some pictures soon

Mark

Ok well the next set of pictures haven't come that soon, but they are hear now. Following on from the fence plans I cut all the pieces, cut slots, drilled holes etc.
I am making a rather over complicated fence based on the basic new yankee design but also incorporating the micro adjustment Steve M has published somewhere in the past.

IMG_3334_zps8b7756f5.jpg

The lower base had some runners attached to slide in the t track, and a couple of guide blocks attached to the top

IMG_3351_zpsdfb18a33.jpg

IMG_3355_zpscba522c8.jpg

Above you can see how it sits on the table top.

The bolts through the blocks will clamp the lower base to the table top
The bolts outside these will allow the upper base to slide independently of the lower when using the micro adjust, then lock it all together agin

Next the 3 pieces cut for the front of the fence and laminated. 2 adjustable fence cheeks and a fixed top piece with t track for feather boards etc.

IMG_3335_zpsfab688a7.jpg

IMG_3336_zpseac7c4ca.jpg

IMG_3340_zps68a2b333.jpg

IMG_3341_zps0cddc90f.jpg

IMG_3342_zpsc54f980c.jpg

Did have one minor problem with chipping the corner of the laminate. Sods law its on the front.

IMG_3349_zpsf4e0623d.jpg

The top piece is screwed to the fence from behind

IMG_3356_zpse50c2a97.jpg

The sliding cheeks run on t bolts with large knobs on the back

IMG_3358_zps7c029e7e.jpg

This is what it looks like at the back

IMG_3359_zpsd84e7cff.jpg

2 knobs to release and tighten eack fence cheek

2 knobs to clamp down the bases, one does the lower base to the table, one releases the upper base when using the micro adjuster.

The micro adjuster pieces cut. Theory is that one turn of the bolt produces 1mm of travel. One part is fastened to each base and can be slid over each other by turning the bolt.

IMG_3360_zps35c74474.jpg

Nut embedded in the middle

IMG_3361_zps56cb656a.jpg

Put together

IMG_3365_zps1a5afef5.jpg

Each half fastened to each of the bases.

IMG_3370_zps13416da5.jpg

And the bristol lever glued on with thread lock

IMG_3372_zps66c47010.jpg

To operate, the lower base is slackened off and the bristol lever turned the appropriate amount, base locked down again and away you go. I'm rather pleased how this has turned out. I took a long time getting the pieces cut right and it moves nice and smoothly and both bases remain square to each other.

Theres not that much more to do. I've cut the door pieces already. Main thing left is the dust extraction. I've been putting that off as I need to sort my workshop dust extraction generally. Other than that just a few bits and bobs.

Thanks for looking

Mark

Mark, I see you are fitting a door, you were advised at the start not to fit a door as it would not allow air flow but if you look at it, air will be allowed in around the cutter and also sucked down by the fan in the router also the door will not be a tight fit, fitting a door is to be recommended because the reduction in noise alone is tremendous. If you need a bit of perspex for the door pm me and for the cost of the postage I will cut you a piece.

Andy

Andy that's very generous but I've already bought a piece off eBay . Thanks anyway
I had been wondering about putting vents in the Perspex.

Mark

Mark, if you look at my router build I've made a door with a perspex front and I cut 3 holes at the bottom to aid the air draft. The door has a couple of dowels at the bottom and a magnet at the top which make it easier to open. Inside, covering the dust hole, is a cover that can be adjusted to regulate the extraction between the upper and lower pipes.

Back