Another computer question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opener

Established Member
Reaction score
All this computer talk has prompted me to ask if anyone can solve my particular problem.

My laptop cannot find my cd drive - it is not listed under My Computer and I'm unable to use it.

Although when I boot up it refers to it because the light flashes on momentarily.

Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks in advance
Malcolm

Hi John

It's a Packard Bell Easynote SW51-120 with XP

Cheers
Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Sounds like you're missing a driver. I've had a few problems recently. Had to re-install everything after a case of computer clap!! I was missing a couple of drivers. Try this:

Start - Control Panel - Performance & Maintainance - System

A box opens, click on the hardwear tab.

See if anything has a :!: on it, possibly in drives??

Double click it and troubleshoot. It should download one from t'internet.

If not, drivers are usually available as free downloads from either the computer manufactuer or the processoer maker. Try that?

HTH

Richard

Dare I mention BIOS, I recall there was a setting (three in fact) re the CD drive, it might state disabled. But be very careful around that area, I would post its situation before making any changes and get confirmation what you intend to do.
You can get wipe outs in that area.

BTW cd drives on laptops are notorious for breaking down because of there delicate location when using.

Heh, I'm becoming a computer nerd :) :) :)

Normally, even on a laptop, the CD/DVD drive will use the standard MS driver (assuming you are using Windows).

As DW says have a look at the BIOS settings - it should tell you which disks you have and there may well be options to enable/disable various hardware options. On my machine I've disbaled Bluetooth because I don't use it and all the time it is on it is using battery power and will reduce the time the computer will run on the battery.

Also DW is correct that CD/DVD drives on laptops are small and flimsy and much more prone to damage and problems than those in desktops.

If the drive is knackered you can get replacements but they can be both expensive and awkard to change. Some Dell machines allowed changing as a module - we had some machines with a floppy drive or CD drive that could be swapped.

In the worst case scenario you can get a cheap external USB CD/DVD drive.

Misterfish

Hi

I have seen something like this before and the solution that worked was to go into device manager-find the entry for the DVD under DVD/CD-Roms and delete it by highlighting and pressing delete key. Then from the device manager toolbar choose action-Scan for hardware changes

Malc

I have had laptop cd drive breakdown in the past (an old time computer) we went the external cd drive . but then we could not load the Windows disk from the extenal drive, so eventually the laptop became kaput.

misterfish":2avvgz9b said:
Normally, even on a laptop, the CD/DVD drive will use the standard MS driver (assuming you are using Windows).

As DW says have a look at the BIOS settings - it should tell you which disks you have and there may well be options to enable/disable various hardware options. On my machine I've disbaled Bluetooth because I don't use it and all the time it is on it is using battery power and will reduce the time the computer will run on the battery.

Also DW is correct that CD/DVD drives on laptops are small and flimsy and much more prone to damage and problems than those in desktops.

If the drive is knackered you can get replacements but they can be both expensive and awkard to change. Some Dell machines allowed changing as a module - we had some machines with a floppy drive or CD drive that could be swapped.

In the worst case scenario you can get a cheap external USB CD/DVD drive.

Misterfish

What he said :!:

You don't need specific cd/dvd drivers with windows XP. The generic ASAPI or SATA drivers will always be used and will recognise the drives perfectly.

Another approach if you can remember approximately when it stopped working is to do a system restore to just prior to that date.
Doesn't always work but very often does and you can reverse it if so wished.

You won't lose any saved data or information but would lose programs and updates loaded after that point (in your case whould just be those from the internet?)

Just go to Start, programs, applications, stysem tools, system restore and choose a point to restore to - only takes about 10 minutes.

If the point you try doesn't work then try an ealier one.

As said though, it is very possible that your drive could be knackered. Do a search on google and ebay using the laptop model number or buy a usb extrernal.

cheers

Bob[/i]

Sound advice but stepping back a bit, with most laptops the CD drive is removable. It could just be a dodgy contact, release the CD drive, take it out then reseat it. I have seen this many times where power is getting to the laptop CD drive, hence the light flashes at boot, but the data channels are not connected fully so the OS doesn't see it.

Just like to thank everyone for their help. Real life has suddenly got in the way so I won't be able to try out any of your ideas for a few days but I'll get back to you when I get the chance.

Cheers
Malcolm

Back