Another carved oak chair.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

A Major Clanger
Reaction score
So begins the great get jobs done project.

First up a carved oak chair...... It goes something like this.....

IMG_5599.JPG

It has been hanging about for a while. It's not for the queen, so there's no crown.

IMG_5601.JPG

How did you learn to carve btw? Obviously other than practice, any specific online resources / books you'd recommend?
I would recommend Peter Follansbee for this kind of stuff, there are a few videos on the Lie Nielsen website and Follansbee has a blog.

Loose fit front rails and stiles, suitably uneven eyeballed turning, the whizz bang joiners creasing planes for mouldings.

IMG_1333.JPG

Thank you @profchris .

I have a little trick learnt from looking at the originals, which is that the rails and rear stiles are only planed face and one square edge, with their back sides and lower edges just tidied up. It cuts the workload considerably and was normal practice at the time for that reason.

You can only see the secondary surfaces if you're underneath the chair or behind it and as a rule, if its a surface that you either look at or come into contact with, it gets finished and the rest doesn't matter.

I'll take a picture of the secondary surfaces later to show what they look like.

Got a bit delayed.

I'll try and get the seat and the crest on later today.

26:1:2023.JPG

26:1:2023-1.JPG

Crest half on and pinned together. I added a moulding in the lower back rail above the seat to break up the large board.

It's quite tall, so I'll drop the crest down an inch in the morning. It's pinned together now, as it's easier to work on that way.

IMG_5632.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you @profchris .

I have a little trick learnt from looking at the originals, which is that the rails and rear stiles are only planed face and one square edge, with their back sides and lower edges just tidied up. It cuts the workload considerably and was normal practice at the time for that reason.

You can only see the secondary surfaces if you're underneath the chair or behind it and as a rule, if its a surface that you either look at or come into contact with, it gets finished and the rest doesn't matter.

I'll take a picture of the secondary surfaces later to show what they look like.
Please don't, I know they will be better than my finished surfaces but don't want to think about it.

Blimey!

After presenting the half built chair to my client at home,

"it's nice, but can you make the seat a bit bigger ?"

"Of course Dear"

Various major structural alterations later....

View attachment 152406

Looking forward to doing a bit of carving after the arms are shaped and scribed to fit.
Seriously?!?!? How do you make a seat bigger at that stage of construction.

With a saw and a shrug. I had to cut the chair in half and put in some new stretchers between front and back and make a new seat.

I think it looks better too anyway.

Carving away today, lovely.
You have the patience of a saint!!

was gonna say has her
Unknown-2.jpeg
got bigger since the order but as it's ur other 1/2 I'll sut up.....lol....
brilliant job....

agree with the shed and tools, the other thing for a happy marriage is if she ask for something to be done...
Do it straight away.....

Back