Another backsaw build.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Attached is the latest backsaw I finished working on. The handle wood is tiger myrtle. The length of saw tooth is 10 inches, and its been sharpened 12 tpi. I would appreciate your comments to the way I have shaped the handle cheek.

Regards; Stewie.

beautiful, masterfully crafted. Could you pm how you achieved this so I can take notes please. Love the handle,
TT

It's beautifully done. No question about it.
But as a 'user' saw? I think the horns and the tongue are too vulnerable. I know we all like these flourishes but sometimes pragmatism has to take precedence. Apologies if that comes across as being critical in a negative manner. It's not intended to. I can't fault the actual skill and craft.

MIGNAL":11zty9lb said:
But as a 'user' saw? I think the horns and the tongue are too vulnerable. I know we all like these flourishes but sometimes pragmatism has to take precedence. Apologies if that comes across as being critical in a negative manner. It's not intended to. I can't fault the actual skill and craft.

I do agree, just wanted some one to say first, one knock or bang and you a broken handle, I have an old saw with similar shape and they have had previous repairs. Common damage with these, all the same. Beautiful
TT

MIGNAL":1x5mh7nl said:

Hi Mignal. Good or bad. Feedbacks a useful tool.

Stewie;

tobytools":lmk880zv said:
MIGNAL":lmk880zv said:

I do agree, just wanted some one to say first, one knock or bang and you a broken handle, I have an old saw with similar shape and they have had previous repairs. Common damage with these, all the same. Beautiful
TT

Hi Toby. Can only advise you that I use these backsaws I make on a regular basis in the workshop for general cabinet work and have not had any issues that would make me question the strength of my handle designs.

Stewie;

swagman":rijf98r3 said:
tobytools":rijf98r3 said:
MIGNAL":rijf98r3 said:

TT

Hi Toby. Can only advise you that I use these backsaws I make on a regular basis in the workshop for general cabinet work and have not had any issues that would make me question the strength of my handle designs.

Stewie;

stewie, sorry if my comment offended you, im sure they are a solid as they are beautiful, i referring to much older saws that have probably been mistreated or thrown in a box in the garage. You clearly show your tools mountains or respect as a good craftsman should. I'm not familiar with the grain of tiger myrtle nor its strengths ect so i could possibility be wrong in my statement and if so i retract my statement.
All the same, looks good and hope it stays sharp forevermore
TT

Now that's a saw!

The cheek shape works well - it's different but still looks strong and elegant, and it provides a nice transition from the organic shapes of the handle to the engineered surfaces of the blade. I can't help noticing that it is kinda reminiscent of another sort of cheeks though!

I really like the way you have shaped the back of the blade so that the curvature of the handle flows into it. I've been playing around with a similar idea on my latest dovetail saw.

It is an excellent example of how super strong timbers can be used to produce very delicate details.

Fantastic work, thanks for sharing.

matthewwh":1zakffg0 said:
Now that's a saw!

The cheek shape works well - it's different but still looks strong and elegant, and it provides a nice transition from the organic shapes of the handle to the engineered surfaces of the blade. I can't help noticing that it is kinda reminiscent of another sort of cheeks though!

I really like the way you have shaped the back of the blade so that the curvature of the handle flows into it. I've been playing around with a similar idea on my latest dovetail saw.

It is an excellent example of how super strong timbers can be used to produce very delicate details.

Fantastic work, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your nice feedback Matthew. Must admit I thought the same about with cheeks general shaping. #-o

That little upwards flick at the end of the top horn is drop dead gorgeous, you've got me drooling Stewie!

I can only echo what others have said - It sure is a beauty !!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300

Gorgeous saw! I love the wood choice and the handle is beautifully crafted...

One question...

Is there any specific reason you trimmed the heel of the saw plate rather than leaving it square? Was it strictly for cosmetics or do you have a structural reason behind it? In the past I have found that if I am sawing rather zealously, I have on occasion overshot the heel and wonder if I would not prefer the slight extra length of an untrimmed plate. This isn't a critique at all. Just a curiosity....

bobbybirds":2bqu7yos said:
Gorgeous saw! I love the wood choice and the handle is beautifully crafted...

One question...

Is there any specific reason you trimmed the heel of the saw plate rather than leaving it square? Was it strictly for cosmetics or do you have a structural reason behind it? In the past I have found that if I am sawing rather zealously, I have on occasion overshot the heel and wonder if I would not prefer the slight extra length of an untrimmed plate. This isn't a critique at all. Just a curiosity....

Having the heal of the saw plate shaped so it becomes a natural extension to the shaping of the lambs tongue adds much to the overall appeal of the backsaw when compared to leaving the heal square. From a practical perspective shortening the stroke of the saw to protect the handle would seem good logic.

Stewie;

Hi all. Some of the feedback I received were rightly critical to the sharpness of shape to the top left hand corner of the handle where it meets the spine.

Today I reshaped this area to give it an inward curve.

Stewie;

I hate you :lol: :lol: :lol:

You made me go out and put my old sandvik tennon saw into a plastic bag (so I don't have to look at it), before chucking it back into my site bag. :(

Seriously - a beautiful piece of work - wish I could do that! :mrgreen: I'd spend all my life drooling over it and wouldn't dare to use it in case it got scratched.

Bob

Lons":u4pi7396 said:
I hate you :lol: :lol: :lol:

You made me go out and put my old sandvik tennon saw into a plastic bag (so I don't have to look at it), before chucking it back into my site bag. :(

Seriously - a beautiful piece of work - wish I could do that! :mrgreen: I'd spend all my life drooling over it and wouldn't dare to use it in case it got scratched.

Bob

Hey guess what Bob. Not that long ago I was having the same wishes and doubts you just mentioned. The self doubts never leave you, but they do become less threatening as you gradually learn to overcome each of the forward obstacles.

Cheers; Stewie.

Back