Andy Lodge Turning For Results Number 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that DVD and I don't think it's very good, at all. This is my personal opinion.

What is it you are looking to learn, maybe I can help you with a better choice.

Hi wizer,

Good question which I can easily answer, my next project is to turn a platter for a friend it’s going to be about 12” by 1.5“ and the wood will be sycamore as that’s the piece I have in the garage. Then my daughter has to pyrography a picture of this persons two children’s faces on the flat surface of the plate.
It’s meant to be a birthday present for her 80 year old dad, I have no DVD’s on platters turning holding profiles etc, I was thinking of using a sticky disk “metal disk heated up then put hot glue on it stick it to the blank” and place it in the jaws of the chuck then work on the underside of the platter get the shape and spigit ready for the chuck.

So if you know of a good dvd covering holding platters and profiles of platters that would be useful to get for this project.
DVD’s I have are:-

Woodturning a foundation Course Keith Rowley
Turned Bowls made easy Bill grumbine
Starting out woodturning Robert Sorby
Turning Wood Richard Rsaffan

any advice would be apriciated I have about a month to get it finnished.

Rob

The Bill Grumbine and Richard Raffan would have been in my top ten, so you've chose well there. The only decent Platters DVD that I recall is actually a KTMP production. I don't have it to hand, but it's in the Eli Avisera series (S2 E2?). Eli's a fantastic guy and extremely skilled. There are some technical annoyances with the production, but the content is good. You only see one platter being turned, so I wonder if it's value for money (tho I don't recall it's price).

Other than that, Les Thorn's is a very good one for a broad range of topics and Mike Mahoney has a good one on bowls.

Hello Rob,
I think you should make your own mind up about the KTMP Productions.
While the Andy Lodge Bowls DVD may not be suitable for platter making, Mick Hanbury did an excellent Making & Decorating Platters film and covers three great projects.
I'm going to be away on business for a week but if you'd like to try the Mick Hanbury film, I'll let you have Andy Lodge 4 with it for half price!
Can't say better than that can I?
Contact me at:
[email protected]
We have a KTMP Club mailing list which is free to join and you can leave whenever you like. We have some really exciting new films in the pipeline to release very soon...join now and you will be offered a Club discount with your newsletter as the films release.

Best regards,
Karl Tickle
KTMP

By the way:
At £14.99 for a full DVD for the Eli Avisera Platter movie, I think that represents GREAT value for money.
Cheers,
Karl

wizer":8i470be7 said:
I have that DVD and I don't think it's very good, at all. This is my personal opinion.

KTMP":8i470be7 said:
Hello Rob,
I think you should make your own mind up about the KTMP Productions.

solution , why dont you lend him your copy tom - then he can make his mind up without having to fork out if it does turn out to be cack , and if you think its rubbish then there wont be a great loss if it goes astray ;)

Hi all thanks for all the feedback,

Was about to buy http://www.ktmp.co.uk/FORMgallery-9.htm which wizer recommended (thankyou).

So will put that on the wish list, I'll take karl's offer of the 2 dvd's one at half price, so will try to sort it out when he's about.

I can see me learning so much from this site there aren't any turning club's that i know of around my area so learning from dvd's is my best option.

thanks for all the advice

Rob

Hi Pete,

I live in pembroke wast Wales nice place to live but no turning clubs that i know of though timberman local wood turning store has demo's now and again.

I like dvd's as you can go back to them again and again :).

PS with a bit of luck karl will get the dvd's in the post to me this week before he goes away on business, what service.

Rob

Hi guys,
Quick update, I now have the 2 dvd’s “Andy Lodge Bowls DVD and Mick Hanbury Making & Decorating Platters dvd” Karl kindly put them in the post Saturday morning for me they arrived Tuesday, however the wife said I couldn’t have them till Sunday my birthday.

So tonight’s task was to turn a sort of platter for pyrography it was sycamore and 12 inches wide by about an inch and a half, put it on the lathe and started it up first thing I noticed was how quick it was turning on the lowest setting on my sip lathe. Spoke to my wife I then got the platter making dvd a little earlier as I needed guidance.

I found the dvd very informative put together well, information was spot on I would not of thought of after reveres chucking the “platter bowl” shaping the outside edge first, note I said bowl platter as what I created is nether a bowl or platter but it will defiantly suit its purpose, I’ll post a pic tomorrow or Friday but have to go out eary tomorrow about 4:30 AM so time for bed now.

Just wanted to say so fare I have found the dvd’s very good and informative to some one like me and my skill level.

Rob

Hi all,

After watching the Andy Lodge Turning for Results number 4 DVD, I thought I’d give a little review on how I found it.

I’d have to say if you are starting out or have been turning wood this DVD has a lot of information, well presented, fun to watch “at times”.

This DVD is about 5 hours long so as you’ll guess there is quite a bit of information in it, one project the natural edge bowl really impressed me with Andy explaining what could go wrong with the wings of the bowl how easily they could catch the turner when shaping the bowl etc.

As for the quality of filming I thought it was quite good quality, I’ll be buying the goblet turning DVD that Andy has made with KTMP as it’s one I want and going by the standard of this product I don’t think I’ll go far wrong.

rob

Like a good book, it's the relevance of the content to you and how useful it is to you that counts more so than the quality of the printing or the cover.

Glad you are finding they meet your needs, thanks for the mini reviews as you put the information into practice.

Hi All,

Made a mistake in the last post the goblet turning dvd is demonstrated by Mick Hanbury not andy Lodge.

Rob

Hi Mark,

No i hadn't but will check them out it's about a 80 mile round trip but will definetly check them out thankyou for pointing them out to me.

Rob

Back