Don't laugh... it worked..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee celtic

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd show my first Lathe..

I have always been of the mind set that my hobby shouldn't cost anything but sometimes getting what you want takes time to come true..

A little outlay may be needed but should be recouped over time.. So I bought an old Stanley Bridges Drill attachment that turns a drill into a lathe..

Going to be honest when attached to a drill it was really bad.. But with a bit of jiggerypokery I got a reasonable result.. Using my Bench grinder for drive..
a Vauxhall bush puller attacked with a grinder as a drive spur and flipping the attachment around to face the wrong way I built a lathe..

1621182326045.jpg

First thing I did was grind an old chisel to make a small lathe tool then used that to turn a handle for an old gouge (my first lathe tool.. resting on the lathe)

With this I turned a few chisel handles to restore a few chisels I then sold on ebay and raised enough cash to repay the £3 I paid for the attachment and
Buy myself a 40" wood lathe.. all be it a cheap one but so far my lathe bill is £0.. also sprang for a set of cheap lathe tools bill still £0

1621182333557.jpg
1621182319159.jpg
before 10p After £8. did a couple of larger handles for 2" double ferrule framing chisels and a set of 4 ward chisels and my new to me £65 generic chineese lathe was bought..

Now I just need to keep making toadstools at £10-£12 a go to finance my next one.. hopefully a good old brand..

294017043_10229732448922296_1854548888368916788_n.jpg
294036868_10229732450442334_3885771118175008869_n.jpg

Congratulations. Love it.
As you obviously know, there is a great deal of pleasure in creating things and even more so when the things you create are done with the tools you have purpose built yourself. Admire your attitude and your work.

Being keen is the first requirement for any activity. Great effort. It was the need to make tool handles that prompted me to get my first lathe. Plenty of good secondhand lathes out there so take the next step. With a real lathe the sky's the limit.
Regards
John

That's an impressive tradeup from where you started, my addiction with woodturning started with a Nick Zametti YouTube video a few years ago, then mid 2021 I was scrolling through Gumtree and came across a lathe for £30, then a few months later at the Oak Fair I bought a couple of gouges, since then I've probably spent a bit on sharpening kit as well as a chuck and live centres but I've easily made that back with items I've sold to colleagues family and friends plus the recent school Christmas fair where I made £650 profit in 3 hours, now I'm thinking of doing a local craft market in a few months just to see how I do, it will be £50 for 2x 6ft tables and liability insurance is cheap as chips for 1 days cover too.

Being keen is the first requirement for any activity. Great effort. It was the need to make tool handles that prompted me to get my first lathe. Plenty of good secondhand lathes out there so take the next step. With a real lathe the sky's the limit.
Regards
John
Thanks.. I traded up to one of these all be it a good few years old and it came with a face plate and a couple of tools.. £65
It's basic but will get me to the next stage..
OIP (1).jpg

OIP (1).jpg

Ahh A man after my own heart !! I can count on one hand the times I've purchased a brand new turning item... usually on offer or in the sales. I started off with a very basic lathe, worked up to a Harrison Jubilee and now have a Wadkin RS...

Back