Android Apps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chems":195bq64d said:
I've got a Desire and a Sony Ericsson Xperia, both top line phones. Both have pretty poor GPS capabilities when I've used them around the town as a GPS even thou the desire is marketed as one of the best SatNav phones. It could be down to the beta google navigation thou.

If your waiting to buy for another phone, don't with the speed that they are advancing there is no way you'll get one thats top for more than a few weeks. Just make sure you get a dual core one with Android 3.0 at the moment, best you can do. But the next SnapDragon chips are already slated to be 4 core so that dual core won't be top for long!

I had a Desire and now have a Desire HD, I have never found the GPS to be problematic, I even ran the Desire HD alongside my wife's Garmin satnav unit the other day and the phone gave the exact same route, sometimes with more detail! (although the voice on the Google Navigation was a bit harsh)

mark270981":23og94tj said:
InvoiceMe - is a great app, can invoice a client there and then after you have done a job.

How does that work then does it email the invoice to them ??

I went out and got myself a HTC Desire and I'm well pleased with it. Only for the pathetic GPS I would have kept the Samsung Galaxy S, the battery and speed (and looks) of the Samsung are better than the Desire. I took the Desire and my treking GPS out to find a couple of geocaches and the Desire was every bit as good as the other, even under dense leaf cover.

Interesting, I found the Desire faster than the Galaxy S, although it has to be said, that AMOLED screen on the Galaxy S is gorgeous. :)

I think im going for the Motorola Defy as an upgrade in 2 weeks :D on paper its less powerful than the Desire but in tests it has come out on top. Its running Android 2.1 but is being upgraded to 2.2 very soon so will be even better . I like that its dust, water and scratch proof too so great for work. The battery puts me off the Desire lots of people on the net saying it wont even last a day :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've had bad experiences with Motorola phones in the past, perhaps their smartphones are better. It's fair to say that with heavy use a Desire won't last 24 hours, but I've yet to find a smartphone that will (by that I mean network and wifi connected all day, email, live content, GPS and widgets active all day and lots of browsing, playing games and so-on) but at least with the Desire changing the battery is nice and easy, so I just carried a spare in case I ran low on juice - the batteries are so small you can carry one in your wallet!

I was looking at Android phones today - wifes just got an Iphone and must admit thought I would go for one of the motorola defys when my contract comes up - dustproof/waterproof/drop proof etc. Has anyone got one? are they any good?.

In the meantime if anyone has upgraded their iphone and has an old unlocked one they want to exchange for a few beer tokens let me know - i'm on orange.

cheers

Rog

Hi Rog,

my daughter now has the Motorola Defy as she's always dropping and breaking mobiles!
Despite the claims, she's managed to get two scratches on the screen already from just general wear and tear, chucking it her handbag etc, so the screen at least is maybe not quite as durable as the manufacturers claim. (she's had it for just over two months)
It's survived a few bounces though! :lol:
hope this helps

cheers,
Andy

good deal at the mo with three (3) they have 3gs i phone for £30 p/month unlimited internet (no limits) + many other add ons.
i have the Htc desire and love it but the battery is no good

andy king":97bdo3re said:
Hi Rog,

my daughter now has the Motorola Defy as she's always dropping and breaking mobiles!
Despite the claims, she's managed to get two scratches on the screen already from just general wear and tear, chucking it her handbag etc, so the screen at least is maybe not quite as durable as the manufacturers claim. (she's had it for just over two months)
It's survived a few bounces though! :lol:
hope this helps

cheers,
Andy

Yeah I had heard that they do scratch even though they are scratch resistent :D :lol: I will probaby get a screen protector anyway.

My first act upon getting a new smartphone is putting a Zagg Invisible shield on it, it can be a bit of a pipper to apply but it makes it virtually unscratchable.

Vormulac":24bov7ed said:
My first act upon getting a new smartphone is putting a Zagg Invisible shield on it, it can be a bit of a pipper to apply but it makes it virtually unscratchable.

I put one on my Nokia 5800 when I got that 2 years ago but not that impressed with it for what it cost. It has orange peel sort of finish on it and I did apply it properly before you ask also it has a sort of tear in it where it rubbed against something in my pocket which it shouldnt have if its as good as they say. The life time warranty seems to be only if bought in the USA as well.

That's interesting, I haven't seen anything damage one of my phones with a Zagg skin on it. I know what you mean about the 'orange peel', but it's so slight you have to look pretty closely to see it.

I have been playing with an htc desire today. Trying to figure out whether to get our sales team android or wp7 handsets. I like it. Wouldn't necessarily swap it for my iPhone, but It's much better than the trophy 7.
What email app do people use, as I notice it won't show HTML mail using built in app?
Si

My old phone finally gave up the ghost the other week, so I've gone out and got an HTC Desire. Pretty happy with it so far and have resisted getting loads of games for it.
One question though, and possibly looking for a recommendation...
Crazily, it doesn't have voice activated dialling, which I find ludicrous. I guess there's an app to deal with this, I'm after one that works via Bluetooth, has anyone got one they can recommend?

Thanks.

Back