Walking/Steps app for Android

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quintain

Established Member
Reaction score
My lovely lady is wanting something to count her steps on her limited daily walk.
Has any one got advise on an android smartphone app which is easy to use, preferably free which will count her steps.

Thank you everyone
We have tried a cheepy wrist worn unit which gives false/exaggerated step counts and is to small of a dial for the lady to read.

she/we are hoping the smartphone app will be an accurate step counter and large enough readout for her eyesight.

Does she need to hang the phone around her neck or can she keep it in her pocket??

Thank you everyone
We have tried a cheepy wrist worn unit which gives false/exaggerated step counts and is to small of a dial for the lady to read.

she/we are hoping the smartphone app will be an accurate step counter and large enough readout for her eyesight.

Does she need to hang the phone around her neck or can she keep it in her pocket??
Pocket is fine. Better than wrist, in fact, when mowing the lawn or pushing a supermarket trolley.
However, I wouldn't worry too much about inaccuracies or exaggerated step count. It's not really an exact science, generally speaking more steps=better. Unless your wife has some specific condition where overstepping would be bad, but I struggle to imagine such a condition. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Pocket is fine. Better than wrist, in fact, when mowing the lawn or pushing a supermarket trolley.
However, I wouldn't worry too much about inaccuracies or exaggerated step count. It's not really an exact science, generally speaking more steps=better. Unless your wife has some specific condition where overstepping would be bad, but I struggle to imagine such a condition. Forgive me if I'm wrong.
Thanks John Brown
I would generally agree about "However, I wouldn't worry too much about inaccuracies or exaggerated step count. It's not really an exact science" but she counted couple of hundred steps as a test when the gizmo had told her 5k + steps..I said she was proba;y running after a boyfriend!!
She generally puts her smartphone in a bag attached to a 4 wheel with a couple of handles 'walker' machine. would any app work in the bag
BTW I will download an app later this week onto my phone to test things out.

Again thank you all for your help.

Thanks John Brown
I would generally agree about "However, I wouldn't worry too much about inaccuracies or exaggerated step count. It's not really an exact science" but she counted couple of hundred steps as a test when the gizmo had told her 5k + steps..I said she was proba;y running after a boyfriend!!
She generally puts her smartphone in a bag attached to a 4 wheel with a couple of handles 'walker' machine. would any app work in the bag
BTW I will download an app later this week onto my phone to test things out.

Again thank you all for your help.
My guess would be that anything in a bag attached to a 4 wheeled thing would be wildly inaccurate. These devices work with MEMS accelerometers and sophisticated filter algorithms.

Thank you everyone.
Yesterday I down loaded 2 x apps..Google Fit & Pedometer - Step Counter.
Google Fit onto my wifes Motorolo android phone and Pedometer - Step Counter onto my exactly same model & age phone
I put both phones in my pocket at 0900hrs today with the following 1515hrs results.
Google Fit showing recorded steps of 1231steps
Pedometer showing recorded steps of 3652 steps

I had worked in my workshop around my work bench all the time, except for a number of coffee collections and lunch break in the house.

I understand the step counts will only be indicative rather than exact BUT why the difference in numbers (1231 ver 3652..virtually x3).

Could it be that Google Fit is (I think GPS related) and I had been in the same-ish spot all morning.

And I appreciate I am again asking for your help rather than carrying out full google research

Any help, thoughts and even 'don't ask stooopid questions' remarks will be welcome.

I got my good lady a used garmin watch to try out. Didn’t cost a massive amount as it was second hand but it had a big customisable screen on it that might be of use for you. The apps pretty good at totalling everything for you by Bluetooth. Sleep tracking is a bit cak on them but the step counting is much better than the fitbits and all that.

Back