American you tube videos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Have you noticed that nearly all American you tube videos which feature a table saw show the saw being used with no top guard. Looks dangerous to me.

K

Generally no riving knife either, shouldn't be allowed, winds me up, it's so wrong, don't get me started :x!

Yes, land of the free and all that. Unfortunately you see this popping up in a few vids from British YouTubers, too, who really ought to know better.

I’ve had this company - http://speedcuttergraff.com - nagging me for some time to review their product, a multi-purpose blade for wood. For an angle grinder. Ummm, no, thanks!

If the manufacturers designed a crown guard that could be easily attached / detached, I think it would be a different story...

MattRoberts":1nv07erx said:
If the manufacturers designed a crown guard that could be easily attached / detached, I think it would be a different story...

Yes, but in fairness, that is beginning to happen, it's just that most of us do not have a state-of-the-art saw and second-hand ones are going to be older saws with older designs.

graduate_owner":bpr9h0kt said:
Hi all,
Have you noticed that nearly all American you tube videos which feature a table saw show the saw being used with no top guard. Looks dangerous to me.

K

Then don't do it.

Your saw, your fingers...your choice.

petermillard":3j0xyb0s said:
I’ve had this company - http://speedcuttergraff.com - nagging me for some time to review their product, a multi-purpose blade for wood. For an angle grinder. Ummm, no, thanks!
If you think about it Peter, their blade is not particularly far removed from the working method of Arbortech's tools or those from Saburr or Rotarex, so I'm not sure if your hinted at reluctance at the end of your post is down to perceived inherent danger of that type of woodworking, or for some other reason, e.g., a distaste in general for power tool wood shaping or carving. Slainte.

I used to have an Arbortech. It was very scary to use and I never did use it on an actual project.
I hope the person who stole cuts their arm off with it.

Peter Sefton":2voqccjf said:
Yep plain dangerous, but defended to the end by some users.

Cheers Peter
Saw safety has been raging in the community and the courts for years. Google Ryobi Sawstop.
Brian

Sgian Dubh":29f1ci06 said:
If you think about it Peter, their blade is not particularly far removed from the working method of Arbortech's tools or those from Saburr or Rotarex, so I'm not sure if your hinted at reluctance at the end of your post is down to perceived inherent danger of that type of woodworking, or for some other reason, e.g., a distaste in general for power tool wood shaping or carving. Slainte.

That’s fair - though for the record I have no feelings either way for power tool wood carving or shaping, it’s something I have zero interest in - it’s just that this particular company seem to be marketing this as a general-purpose do-it-all blade capable of e.g. ripping solid timber.

So no, thanks.

Yojevol":3mx0at0g said:
Peter Sefton":3mx0at0g said:
Yep plain dangerous, but defended to the end by some users.

Cheers Peter
Saw safety has been raging in the community and the courts for years. Google Ryobi Sawstop.
Brian

I have been watching and was in talks with Sawstop last year about being their UK dealer, still amazed they are 60 or more behind us as far as guarding goes. Sawstop offer good guards and splitters but most users seem to still take them off hoping technology will help rather than a physical barrier.

Cheers Peter

On the Dewalt DW745 if you want to cut narrow pieces you need to remove the crown guard because the genius who designed it made it so that

a) They used a wing nut.
b) The wing nut is on the fence side, so unless you raise the blade above the fence it restricts the minimum width.
c) The fixing itself doesn't allow you to insert the nut on the fence side and wing nut on the other.

There's also an issue with the riving knife being quite a way above the blade. I don't know how something like a Microjig Grrripper, for example, would work with that with thinner stock.

I think that some of the US youtube videos remove the guards so that viewers can see what's going on and state that you shouldn't do it.

Steve Maskery":3p252gcr said:
Yes, but in fairness, that is beginning to happen, it's just that most of us do not have a state-of-the-art saw and second-hand ones are going to be older saws with older designs.

Sure, but you'd think that would be a design feature incorporated by the majority a long time ago. Perhaps because many are designed and manufactured in Asia, where safety standards are perhaps more lax...

Not just DeWalt - cutting narrow strips on my Scheppach requires removal of the crown guard, but it's not something I do otherwise. It's just that it seems to be the norm on a number of American YouTube videos. In general, my crown guard remains in place permanently.

K

Narrow strips can be dealt with in a couple of ways.

Make an L section of plywood as long as your fence and attach it with cramps/screws so it lower and goes under the nut or crown guard as is used in angle work.

or

Isolate the machine removed the crown guard, wind down the blade and form a tunnel with a piece of material over the blade but stopping before the riving knife. set the block at the hight of the timber being cut and then turn the machine on and cut into the tunnel block. This guards the blade and holds the timber down.

We will cut inlays 2mm square using this method with a base board underneath, without any chatter.

Cheers Peter

ScaredyCat":24vzywdc said:
On the Dewalt DW745 if you want to cut narrow pieces you need to remove the crown guard because the genius who designed it made it so that

a) They used a wing nut.

They do that on the Dewalt 7491 too, I had that exact issue the other day. For first time ever I had to take crown guard off just to cut something narrower than 3cm.

I love my saw but that is a bad error.

Latest posts

Back