Amazing bit of woodwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter-harrison

Established Member
Reaction score
This is part of the British pavilion at the Venice biennale. It’s about 2.5-3m high and is made from ebonised ash.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpeg
    IMG_0432.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
What's it for?
like all art..for making people think / feel / sparking conversation....appears to be working.
it also took some skill ( yes I think it looks like a pokemon "something"..but that doesn't change the fact that it is well done ) , Unlike the carp that our mairie ( town hall ) spent 25K on..gave a "sculptor" ( mate of someone in the mairie, from Paris ) €25K to make an "artwork"*..he then asked for free wood, was given a truckload of 50mm x 150mm x 3000mm planks, asked for "help" so the cutting up into 500mm lengths was done by the public while he "supervised" ( free labour ) ..he made it into a wall , about 4 metres high by 1 metre thick by 5 metres wide, then cut ( badly ) an arch into it ( so people can walk through ) and burned the outside..
No..I wouldn't have taken the commission..( not even for €25K ) would have meant dealing with poseurs.

* french law says..that 1%"of the cost of any new public building must be spent on public art..they built a new marie..old one was was perfectly OK..new one cost them ( us ) €2.5M

this piece however, posted by @peter-harrison ....took skill, and thought, and creativity..I quite like it :)

Last edited:
Thanks Noel..I'm not impressed with his chairs.
The important thing about a chair is not can you sit in it..it's is it comfortable, and can you get up out of it unaided.
He probably can..most people probably cannot. They'd also be too small for most people to sit in. They remind me of junior school chairs from the late 50s early 60s..but "Starcked", probably cut into your legs behind the knees too.
More than a touch of the Starck about those..
I have a Starck TV remote..useless sh1te..works badly..and highly uncomfortable to hold even for 5 seconds. Can"t get rid of it as it is part of the TV box from our ISP.

Last edited:
Thanks Noel..I'm not impressed with his chairs.
The important thing about a chair is not can you sit in it..it's is it comfortable, and can you get up out of it unaided.
He probably can..most people probably cannot.
Indeed but all we can do in this instance is look at them and comment on the, well, looks. Cherry one looks ok.

'.....the designer reappraising the chair..." ? There must be more "reappraisals of the chair" in the history of furniture design than any other object!
And why not - it's all harmless fun, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Back