am i paranoid (mdf story) please read you might laugh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greek Enigma

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone im Bret (new here), most will get a great laugh from this (probably all)

anyway first ill do the short story then ask a few questions (hopefully answered by a pro carpenter etc)

anyway i finally needed to get a lil bit into wood (28 years old and never touched wood/wood-glue etc lol)

anyway im good with plumbing & electrics and thought i should be ok with wood ( :oops: )

well my mum needed lots of things doing to her place

and we just couldn't find anything suitable (size etc) to buy

so it was deff Bret gotta make stuff time :roll:

LOOKED FOR A WOOD FORUM (FOUND THIS FIRST..HOPE ITS THE BEST ONE? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

anyway being very hard for cash i thought mdf & woodpallets would be a cheap beginner start

ok well ive been making alot of things out of mdf (very bodge looking as amateur)

but ive become extremely paranoid about my tool (cheap jigsaw from focus) and the mdf (ILL TELL WHY)

ok well

every-time i cut the mdf with the jigsaw the dust doesn't go out the back (looks like it should to me)

IT GOES EVERYWHERE!! :evil: all over my clothes in my hair mouth eyes (mdf...Hmmmm i think its stand for major deadly fibers :evil: )

anyway i then made sure i always use a dust mask (its only a cheap paper one but im only doing a few jobs)

i tried glasses but i cant use them as when i wear them with a dust mask they just steam up and i cnt see a thing (cnt see how both can be used)

anyway working with wood has made me very paranoid (especially after hearing America have banned it as it lets of dangerous glue fumes all the time even years and years after its fitted and painted :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: )

ok mdf questions below

1.is my jigsaw broken? (and how bad is all the dust for me)
2.after i cut mdf i clean the edges & top with a wet sponge (should i do that)
3.is it safe to use anywhere in the home (kitchen bedroom etc etc)
4. does mdf have to be painted
5.my clothes are full of mdf (will it all come out in the wash and be usable again)
6..if mdf dust is on floors in home is it safe to hoover
7. HAVE I GONE CRAZY?? (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) :roll: :roll: (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

yep im sorry but you will be dead from the exposure to the dust within a week

mike71":2d3t7tdg said:
yep im sorry but you will be dead from the exposure to the dust within a week
hollysh** 2 weeks have gone and im still alive :lol:

i should be great full huh lmfao

well i do use a mask now

i swear a jigsaw shouldnt make the mdf dust go everywhere? and i mean everywhere (its like its saying to me watch how much mess i can make im going to make it fly everywhere possable :evil: )

Hi.

Yep its nasty stuff, you have to try and make bigger chips that are heaver and don't float about so much. Use a slower speed and a coarser blade, try to vac up the dust as you make it and work outside if possible.

Pete

MDF has not been banned in the USA.

It was another type of board, but some stupid newpaper person how did not know how to read, made up a load of rubbish.

Just make sure you wear a decent dust mask and use extraction if you have it.

Any dust will kill you eventually and so will getting run over by a bus.

Tom

1, No probably a case of cheap tool and blades. My professional Jiggy and blades does make quite a mess if not extracted. Don't worry, it will fling any type of wood dust everywhere.
2, No never put pure water onto MDF without good reason, more so the ends you risk the ends swelling out. If your wiping the ends to remove dust then use a tack cloth or dry cloth.
3, Yes but in rooms of water a suitable water repelling finish is a must. Its also a good idea to use moisture resistant MDF (MRMDF - the green one) in these rooms.
4, No it can be left bare, laminated, veneered, painted, varnished etc
5, Yes it will come out but don't go wiping your phone screen before washing, its very abrasive and can scratch.
6, Yes but MDF as flooring is normally covered with a laminate material. It isn't rated as a suitable substitute for sub floors.
7, Quite so. Americans have a tendency to be dramatic. We have many americans on here and I have never read that MDF in america is banned. Anyone can write a bunch of lies on a website, remember that. Choose wisely who and where to get the correct and true advice from. Also apply logic. Lots of flat pack furniture is MDF (just covered with a laminate) and so its kitchens etc. MDF is man made, would it still be in production if that dangerous and available to the general public.

The steaming glasses while wearing an ill fitted mask is a pain. You can get anti steam glasses but these aren't always that effective. When wearing a paper mask I tend to wear my glasses half way down my nose. This offers some protection and clear vision. If your going to be wearing a mask for a few days then buy a 21day respirator. There not expensive and fit to a good seal so your glasses will not steam up. You can also make darth vader (spelling) sounds and swing a length of timber around as a light saber. No im not embarrassed as I have seen many do it and know im not the only one on here :p As much as I dislike star was its still great fun :lol:

Being a sparks myself I know I have inhaled Asbestos and also a fair bit of MDF dust and also the nasty kingspan/celotex insulation when cut which really gets you coughing not to mention years of loft fibreglass and site muck when an apprentice:(

I try to wear a mask whenever possible now although in the past was not aware of the dangers and am still ok after 25 years in the trade but who knows when and if I will succumb to breathing problems?

Don't worry about a bit of MDF dust but try to always wear a mask when doing anything 'dusty'. You haven't been doing this long so will be fine.

As to your questions...

1 not sure
2 no
3 yes
4 no but trace amounts formaldehyde is supposed to be released so sealing with paint or varnish may be a good idea
5 yes
6 safe to hoover, wear a mask to be safe, blocks vacuum quickly so replace bag often
7 yes :lol:

Steve

You're right to be concerned about the hazards of MDF dust and, as you've already discovered - it literally does get everywhere! If you could afford one, a vacuum-type dust extractor (connected to each power tool) would greatly help to keep a lot of the dust under control. It would still be advisable to wear some form of dust mask as well. Many of us would recommend the Trend AirAce, which has the advantage of not steaming up your goggles. You might also want to consider wearing some overalls, if the dust is getting anywhere although, if you can get most of it off, it shouldn't do any damage to washing machine.

It's always advisable to 'finish' (paint, varnish, oil, etc.) MDF in some way as it will otherwise soak up moisture and water like a sponge. In areas susceptible to damp and high humidity, you'd be better off using MR (moisture-resistant) MDF, which is green in colour. Using a slightly damp sponge to remove some of the dust might not be a bad idea, provided you don't soak the sponge! ;-)

Ideally you want a better dusk mask - one that filters to PPF2 or P2. I have a 3M 7500 half mask and it doesn't steam up my glasses. Trend Air race doesn't either I hear.

wow im shocked at all the replies allready

cheers guys

(although i should be more worried about all the cigs i used to smoke & pot lol)

anyway im trying to stop been a month now

cheers again all

1. get a new Sharp blade for your jigsaw, you can get a downward cutting blade, this way most of the dust will fall underneath, but you must hold it firmly as it will be up. a little trick you can use is angle you free hand so the air from the motor blows the dust away, or tape somethig to it which does the same thing.
2.you only need to use a wet sponge to wipe any excess glue off after its togeather.
3.Yes as long as it doesnt fall on top of you
4.No, Its up to you.
5.Yes just give them a shake before washing.
6.Yes but you should get a dust sheet.
7.I am not sure as I didnt know you before.

I can recommend this mask for comfort and durability...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/draeger-p3-pa ... _container

I used to use p3 fold flat masks but while good these can become soggy after prolonged use and also irritated the bridge of my nose.

I found by putting a sheet of tissue in front of the filters greatly prolongs the life of the filters and I have been on the original set for several days worth of very dusty work and they still work fine and would have used 2-3 fold flat masks costing almost a tenner!

steve.

Greek Enigma":scg6zi78 said:
Hi everyone im Bret
ive become extremely paranoid about my tool

Completely normal Bret - every bloke I know is paranoid about his "tool" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob

I second Jensmiths recommendation of dust mask. I got a 3M half mask about 18 months ago and it's completely changed my outlook on dust avoidance. I always found the disposable masks were uncomfortable and didn't seal properly around the bridge of my nose the half mask though fits like a glove and seals perfectly so I wear it all the time I'm working. Admittedly it's probably seems expensive at first but it's well worth it.

Hi Greek Enigma,

1.is my jigsaw broken? (and how bad is all the dust for me)

No not broken, that hole at the back is where you can fit the extraction hose, if you don't have a dedicated workshop vac, you can use your household vacuum cleaner (for short periods).

The dust is very bad for you, do everything you can to avoid breathing it in, extract as much dust at source as you can, don't work in places that other people use as well, working outside can allow the dust to blow away from you - but don't let it billow into nextdoor! If you but your MDF from the right place they will probably cut it for you free fro the first few cuts and then 50p a cut thereafter (again from memory), the big DIY sheds and timber suppliers often offer this service, and they keep the dust - free of charge!!

Wear a mask - I use the Trend Air Ace with the optional face mask. A good mask is not cheap, the trend is from memory £40 but you dont want a good mask you need one (as in "I want a new jigsaw" vs "I need a new pair of lungs")

2.after i cut mdf i clean the edges & top with a wet sponge (should i do that)

No, MDF soaks up water like a....... well, sponge. It will swell and the glue will fail. If you are leaving any cut edges un-jointed you can seal them with PVA glue more of this in point 4

3.is it safe to use anywhere in the home (kitchen bedroom etc etc)

Safety wise - there are stories that it off gasses urea formaldehyde, but if you search the internet there are some people telling you that chocolate causes cancer and others who tell you it helps prevent it?? um, I've rambled, short answer - I don't know.

Usage wise - as already mentioned by my esteemed co-formumites, don't use non MR-MDF where it can get wet (remember the swelling and de-gluing from point 2), I used it once for boxing in a shower room because I was out of plywood at the time and I knew the shower wouldn't leak :oops: I'll say no more on that subject.........

4. does mdf have to be painted

It needs to be sealed with something to stop water getting at it and possibly help prevent de-gassing, paint, PVA, wax, veneer, danish oil?? if you leave it unfinished it won't last long.

Just don't rely on tiling over it if you used it for boxing in a shower room, when the shower screen leaks the water gets around the tiles easily :shock: that promise to say no more didn't last long

5.my clothes are full of mdf (will it all come out in the wash and be usable again)

Depends how good your machine is, best bet is to get as much out of the clothes as possible before you wash em. My machine hasn't broken yet.

6..if mdf dust is on floors in home is it safe to hoover

If the flooring is non-absorbent, you could spray a bit of water over it and sweep the soggy dust up, but as long as your vacuum does not perform poorly and spray the dust back out the exhaust it'll be fine

7. HAVE I GONE CRAZY??

You are asking the wrong people, if you are crazy, so are we. Look at it this way, would we be allowed sharp tools if we were crazy :D

hi again everyone IM STILL PARANOID LOL

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-mdf-dangerous.htm

infact im going to start a new thread soon about diff woods etc

i mean isnt that glue present in every type of man made wood????

like hardboard, ply, chipboard etc (arnt they used by same glue as mdf )

meaning also should be sealed etc???

i find this very worrying and makes me think to use nothing but wood (no man made stuff)

in all honesty if these types of wood leak toxic fumes 24/7 (even when finished) hopefully not after sealed though HOPEFULLY

how can they be legal at all?

ok im also worried cause the dust is all over are mounting bikes my motobike cover (hopefully not motobike underneath)

my lil brothers motobike (no cover on it :evil: :evil: :evil: )

like omg am i going to be rideing my bikes breathing toxic death lol

omg the wood has (hammer) my brain

im seriously thinking of binning everything mdf in my mums mobile home
prob is if i do that all that will be left is THE ROOF LMFAO well nearly

theirs loads and loads of things mdf in here (this mobile home is like mdf homemade everywhere some not sealed or anything)

its the dangerous glue that worries me most (leaking out all the time)

Greek Enigma":hwkakscn said:
hi again everyone IM STILL PARANOID LOL

i find this very worrying and makes me think to use nothing but wood (no man made stuff)

in all honesty if these types of wood leak toxic fumes 24/7 (even when finished) hopefully not after sealed though HOPEFULLY

how can they be legal at all?

like omg am i going to be rideing my bikes breathing toxic death lol

omg the wood has (hammer) my brain

im seriously thinking of binning everything mdf in my mums mobile home
prob is if i do that all that will be left is THE ROOF LMFAO well nearly

theirs loads and loads of things mdf in here (this mobile home is like mdf homemade everywhere some not sealed or anything)

help

Still paranoid eh? you dont say! :lol:.

Your concerns, although legitimate arent a cause for worry really. I mean, unless you're working with the stuff 5 days a week 50 odd weeks of the year then its not going to be an issue and even then appropriate masks would reduce a lot of the risk.

I suppose a lot of these boards are like asbestos and the likes, they're ok when you arent doing anything with them, but when you start to cut them, break them etc that dust particles get released.

Dont go gutting your moms caravan just yet eh, somehow I dont think she'll understand your paranoia (hammer) :mrgreen:

I think you (Greek Enigma) are confusing the danger posed by MDF dust - which is very real - with the danger posed by it out gassing formaldehyde etc - which is minimal.

The dust will, if you expose yourself to it for prolonged periods, irreparably damage your lungs.

I am certain that the trace quantities of formaldehyde and other chemicals released are far below what is considered safe exposure limits. In a normal house you would have difficultly measuring the quantity of these chemicals in the air (the only technique that I can think of that would be sensitive enough is GC-MS and even then I'd be doubtful it would detect anything).

Back