Aluminium Tote / Knob nuts? (nothing rude)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabs

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I got this No 7 on an auction, it's unused and I think dates from 1962-ish based on the stainless depth adjust wheel, ribbing on the body and the markings on the casting. It does appear to have rosewood handles.

The tote and knob nuts I think are aluminium. I can't find any information on this. I'd expected brass or steel but I guess aluminium in the 60's may have been used -

does anyone know if this is the case or are these likely aftermarket replacements?

thanks
20230406_190506.jpeg

Only ever had one plane with aluminium ones didn't like them much.replaced with some spare brass ones Plane was a J. A. Chapman by stanley no 4 not sure of era
20220915_210319.jpg
20220915_210233.jpg

that plane has beech handles not rosewood, it's dyed a dark colour, it was common to do that when the supply of rosewood ran out and it became too expensive.

I bought my UK made Stanley No.4, brand new, in 1973.

It has the features you list: aluminium handle nuts; cadmium plated adjuster wheel. Also two-piece sheetmetal yoke/fork.

I believe these features came in very late 1960s or early 1970s, and had gone again by mid/late 1970s.

Being in New Zealand (allowing for shipping,.storage, etc.), I would guess my plane was made in 1971/72.

I very much doubt your plane dates to 1962, but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Cheers, Vann.

Back