Alternative to shiplap?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevebod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the process of building a new shed and shiplap seems to be in short supply, just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for any alternative materials please?

Many thanks...

Shiplap can shrink back on the overlap. I'd go for featheredge as you can set a bigger overlap for better weather protection/water ingress resistance. This also gives you the flexibility to get site lines on tops of doors and windows better lined up so you are not cutting long rectangular notches out of your boards.

Colin

You can just use boards, starting at the bottom and working up with 1 1/2 overlap. This is how my shed has been clad, using 6 by 1 treated boards and corner post to fill the ends.

Feather edge will(or was before wood stopped growing on trees)be the cheaper option ,as said give a good overlap to help with shrinkage.

You can just use boards, starting at the bottom and working up with 1 1/2 overlap. This is how my shed has been clad, using 6 by 1 treated boards and corner post to fill the ends.
This is how I built my workshop using treated sarking, Works very well and 'sheds' the water well!! I designed my workshop using 2.4 and 3.6m lengths to minimise cutting

Hi all, and thanks for the replies Must admit, for my last couple of sheds I used shiplap, but over the years those panels in the direct sun have "peeled back" as there is only a few mm of overlap. At least with feather edge you can have a decent overlap. Also been watching some good youtube vids on tips on how to install it. So I think decision made...assuming I can find some feather edge!

Last edited:
..been googling, and noted that feather-edge is considered a "lower grade" alternative to shiplap...just wondering why?..At least with shiplap you can have a decent (40mm) overlapso I would consider shrinkage to be less of an issue? (I am trying to convince myself that weather edge is the best way to go considering the general shortage (and cost) of shiplap...

It is probably considered a lower grade as it is a sawn product and not machined. As such it can also be made of lower grades of timber. It's rough finish does have advantages. The surface is more open and will absorb more preservative. As it ages and weathers it's lack of pristine finish is also a blessing as you do need to keep it looking perfect.

Colin

Personally I think that feather edge is the best product to use on any wooden garden building.
I used it to clad my workshop after I had demolished a building that was attached to it and I am pleased with the result still after 5 years.

PXL_20201021_161553876.jpg

Latest posts

Back