Alternative to Notepad ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure how complex you want to get, but search on openoffice (one word) for a free alternative (and generally similar/compatible) suite to word, excel etc.

I've not used it for some years *(have works installed) but it was very good last time I tried

The one I like is TextPad but I am still using an older version that was totally free for private use, the current one is free trail and £16.50 if you keep using it.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I went for Notepad++ in the end because I liked the many features but OpenOffice looks very interesting indeed especially as I was about to fork out £100 on MS Office for XP but by the looks of it I can get all I need for free from OpenOffice!

Cheers all :)

Bit late i know but did you try wordpad ?

just type wordpad into your run command on the start menu and have a play !

Matt

Just shows you how many there are... I use EditPlus

Open Office is a great programme and I use it a lot - BUT BEWARE!!
Though you can open Microsoft documents, be they text, spreadsheet or database documents in Open Office - Microsoft won't allow you to open Open Office documents in Microsoft applications.
This means that if you send an Open Office file to someone who is running Windows, they won't be able to open it. It's all part of the stranglehold that Bill Gates' lot try to inflict on us poor consumers.

Just an observation re OpenOffice.

Just save the docs in the MS format (this is supported) and away you go. No problem.

Notepad2, another free as in speech and beer app, is my fave hacker (hacking being the appropriate application of ingenuity to a problem rather than cracking - the breaking of secure things) tool on windows.

On ubuntu I like Tomboy notes for jotting down random stuff and then being able to search and cross reference them.

Back