Wood floor adhesive - recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been so long since I laid the last herringbone engineered oak floor that I've gone well past the shelf life of the extra adhesive I had bought and now in the market for a replacement.

Previous used Sikabond MS Wood Floor. It's absolutely fine other than fact it was relatively firm when new ie tough to spread and even with lid on seemed to cure in tub very quickly. May end up going that route again but at £90 (Inc vat) for a 14kg tub, just wondering if there are cheaper alternatives out there that will cut the mustard?

A very quick google search reveals products ranging from £20 upto and beyond £125 . Some water based others polymer etc . I’ve never done this type of flooring but ironically a friend has asked me to quote for laying one on a suspended floor .in which case the flexible type adhesive would be the way to go . So I guess it comes down to your subfloor to make your choice but what does the £90 adhesive offer compared to the £20 / £50 options . Any pro floor layers able to advise further ..

I have used: Osmo MS on solid oak flooring direct on to a screed, it is probably similar to the Sika product but cheaper, it is a bit of job to spread as its a bit rubbery, I used plastic tile adhesive spreaders.

Have heard good things about the Osmo and was a coin toss last time but I'm not seeing it as cheaper than the sika, still around £80-90 for a 15kg tub

These type of adhesives come in sausages as well as in a tub so that might be a way to extend the shelf life.

A tight fitting ring of plastic laid on top of the stuff and a silica dessiccant bag on top of that before putting on the lid might help.

This one popped up in a search: Rewmar MS Polymer Adhesive - Sale Price from Just £79.95 per tub If you download the datasheet, you see it is moisture curing, so anything you can do to reduce the humidity in the storage container would help.

You could experiment on a small sample and see if warming it up makes it spread more easily.

The Soudel one from Toolstation (80559) seems a bit cheaper than others. Its data sheet goes into some detail concerning temperature and humidity during application.

These type of adhesives come in sausages as well as in a tub so that might be a way to extend the shelf life.

A tight fitting ring of plastic laid on top of the stuff and a silica dessiccant bag on top of that before putting on the lid might help.

This one popped up in a search: Rewmar MS Polymer Adhesive - Sale Price from Just £79.95 per tub If you download the datasheet, you see it is moisture curing, so anything you can do to reduce the humidity in the storage container would help.

You could experiment on a small sample and see if warming it up makes it spread more easily.

The Soudel one from Toolstation (80559) seems a bit cheaper than others. Its data sheet goes into some detail concerning temperature and humidity during application.
Thanks for the response. I think you're right re something on top of the adhesive and reading that people are having success with cling film so will have to try that next.

I saw the soudal one at half the price and it did catch my eye but there are a distinct lack of reviews out there and as you say the data sheet is not comparable to peers.

Seems like £80-120 is the going rate for the full size tubs of this stuff so might just stick with Sika and try the clingfilm trick. There is definitely a gap in the market for someone to make this cheaper as I can't believe we are paying that much for tubs of glue 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Not much help to you, but it is a bit of who you know, I got a good deal on mine, as I know the Osmo rep, he sorted a handsome discount, plus I had it on return of any unopened tubs.

Not much help to you, but it is a bit of who you know, I got a good deal on mine, as I know the Osmo rep, he sorted a handsome discount, plus I had it on return of any unopened tubs.
😂😂 I'm a nobody but good to know in case I start making friends !

Back