Allen key upgrade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, thanks for the latest pic. What's that small silver coloured plate on the top for? Is the screw holding it on doing anything other than holding it on?

G.
OK, thanks for the latest pic. What's that small silver coloured plate on the top for? Is the screw holding it on doing anything other than holding it on?

G.
Not really sure what it’s for?? This is it without

Attachments

• E3B90D31-7A1F-4171-8B9C-05F506E655F7.jpeg
    E3B90D31-7A1F-4171-8B9C-05F506E655F7.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 33
Since @Emt wants a no tool resolution the only answer will be a brass or steel thumb screw or a thumb turn (though the second name is almost certainly incorrect). The second has a thread with a wide end shaped to be griped between thumb and finger. The plastic headed screws are just too fragile.
View attachment 115633View attachment 115634View attachment 115635
Thanks, so you think either of these would be better or are you saying anything with a plastic part such as what you posted above would still be no good?

How about a ’Bristol lever’?
They will give more leverage and the lever position can be adjusted so it is out of the way. (You pull the lever upwards to turn it independently of the tightening action).

1628533672825.png
You will either need to find a version with a threaded ‘bolt’ protruding from it or use one of your longer bolts screwed in from the other side so it presents a thread for one like these with an internal thread to screw onto.

Try using the plastic one in anger and see if it does the job.
You might have had enough with any thumbserew afterwards.

Another option if you want a handle, is a Bristol lever
provided its not getting real hard use, as some wouldn't be the most suited to that
I see someone has already beaten me to it.

Not really sure what it’s for?? This is it without

OK, that doesn't help us much really - thought the split in the block may have been a bit longer. The Bristol lever might be your best bet, certainly worth a try. What about the lower blade clamp? Is that the same?

G.

Solder the original Allen key into the original Allen screw (both of which originally worked) and that should solve the problem. (I think).

You can get the screw a lot tighter with the leverage on an Allen key than you would with the knob you bought. Providing the knob slips in and out of the first part of the clamp (without you turning it) it may be ok if you can get it tight enough. Even then it might pop off if you turn it tight enough.

Figured out the metal plate. In your pic looks upside down and facing the wrong way. It's for holding blades that have pins in them. The blade pins fit into the slot, the metal plate pushes down onto the top of the blade holding it in the slot as well as the clamp. Looks like for straight blades you are relying purely on clamping force

Figured out the metal plate. In your pic looks upside down and facing the wrong way. It's for holding blades that have pins in them. The blade pins fit into the slot, the metal plate pushes down onto the top of the blade holding it in the slot as well as the clamp. Looks like for straight blades you are relying purely on clamping force

so thats a game changer…..

If the saw is compatible with blades that have pins, is that not the best way forwards?
I’m not a scroll saw user but think pinned blades are inherently tool less. Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks, so you think either of these would be better or are you saying anything with a plastic part such as what you posted above would still be no good?
HI EMT and Sometimewoodworker. I bought a whole lot of different thumb screws to replace grub screws on some old hand routers. I got them, I think from Orbital fasteners, but because of the cost of postage I bought loads of different sizes of screws of every type and have a box of them in my garage.

If you can wait 3 weeks I'll post you one when i get back from holiday. They look like this. I think i have M4 to M8. Thumb screws do press into your fingers a bit, but these simple spade like ones work quite well. I'm back on 26th August and can send you, if its M4. But you will have to wait.
Thanks Tom
1628597542853.png

First I know nothing about scroll saws, but just looking at it I really cannot envisage this lady being able to tighten up that clamp enough to hold a blade thats vibrating like crazy whilst having plywood pushed through it useing a thumb screw, whether its steel brass or plastic, Im not confident I could do it, and mounting a big plastic “bristol” lever on that vibrating head is just asking for it to undo itself,,,what is wrong with having a single Allen key sitting with the saw ready to nip up the original screw? maybe the supplied allen key is a crappy little short thing but whole sets of of them with nice long handles are easily available, I bought a nice set from Aldi. Otherwise this lady is running around in circles trying to achieve what looks to me to be the impossible.
Steve.

HI EMT and Sometimewoodworker. I bought a whole lot of different thumb screws to replace grub screws on some old hand routers. I got them, I think from Orbital fasteners, but because of the cost of postage I bought loads of different sizes of screws of every type and have a box of them in my garage.

If you can wait 3 weeks I'll post you one when i get back from holiday. They look like this. I think i have M4 to M8. Thumb screws do press into your fingers a bit, but these simple spade like ones work quite well. I'm back on 26th August and can send you, if its M4. But you will have to wait.
Thanks Tom
View attachment 115647
That design was exactly the one I was trying to describe, thank you.

First I know nothing about scroll saws, but just looking at it I really cannot envisage this lady being able to tighten up that clamp enough to hold a blade thats vibrating like crazy whilst having plywood pushed through it useing a thumb screw, whether its steel brass or plastic, Im not confident I could do it, and mounting a big plastic “bristol” lever on that vibrating head is just asking for it to undo itself,,,what is wrong with having a single Allen key sitting with the saw ready to nip up the original screw? maybe the supplied allen key is a crappy little short thing but whole sets of of them with nice long handles are easily available, I bought a nice set from Aldi. Otherwise this lady is running around in circles trying to achieve what looks to me to be the impossible.
Steve.
A nice T handled Allen key would do a great job. Drill a suitable hole at the back of the saw to park it in so it is always available.

Thanks everyone! I think I’m going to probably just stick with using the Allen key provided, seems the best option as I’m not that experienced yet plus I’ve got other problems now but that’s for another post! 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

Thanks Tom
View attachment 115647
Thanks for the generous offer but just gonna stick to what came with the machine for now

Thanks for the generous offer but just gonna stick to what came with the machine for now
Ok, let me know if you would like to try, they didnt cost much per item.
As Stevekane says, you can get a set of decent allan keys from Aldi with t handles and made of reasonably strong steel that doesn't burr that easily for a few£. I gave my son a set for his scooter as he kept leaving mind all over the place and they are very good.

I’m on hols at the minute but have the DSH as well and have no issues using mine and have made no modifications to it.

I’ll check mine when I get home as see if there is anything obvious.

Regards

Padster

@Emt So I've checked my machine and whilst I have some pinless spare blades (unopened) the blades I've been using and open spares, and currently in the DSH are pinned so make it far easier.

HTH

Padster

Latest posts

Back