All for a screwdriver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condeesteso":2gki35tc said:
.. Jim keeps finding me ever smaller screwdrivers. Here's the latest below.....

See...the thing is Douglas...you are a far better guardian of these antique gems than I!

That dinky little boxwood baby has come up beautifully...and now she can continue her life fully vitalised and working for a living!

Enjoy!

Jim

No such thing as a dead thread. Jim found this man - Andrew Losson of Fine Sporting Collectibles:
http://www.finesportingcollectablesltd.co.uk/access.htm

About 1/3rd down the page the screwdrivers. The singles are gone, but I picked a set of the 3 for £30 and they arrived today very nicely packed.
SC1.jpg

SC2.jpg

Wonderful little things and a bargain I feel. The 4" square is for scale, longest is about 5 1/2 inches. Andrew reckons they are about 60s or 70s, and came from Lightwood & Son, Birmingham. He has a few sets and got them as new/old stock. The handles are rosewood, the ferrules turned brass, and the blades have a continuous taper.
If you like screwdrivers these ones are beauties, at a great price. (You have to phone him and send a cheque... nice touch that!).

Attachments

• SC1.jpg
    SC1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 955
  • SC2.jpg
    SC2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 955
They are of a singular beauty Douglas....as I often find tools related to old and new guns tend to be.

I am off this weekend and one of my plans...along with a bench visit ( 8) ) will be to make some more bits for my latest acquisition......which I shall reveal once it is restored.

I refer of course to the most wonderful "Horace Britton" multi-tool...recently acquired from FleaBay.....

Click on the photograph for a journey into a fascinating man and his beautiful invention!

Cheers

Jim

Jim - I think I've seen that Britton?? You keep finding the really nice items. Partly informed taste, but also a sober reminder to us all about the bird and the worm.

Hi,

I had an instance where all 5 of my battery drills where flat, so I used one of my Yankees, worked a treat.

Pete

condeesteso":2wqs41gf said:
Jim - I think I've seen that Britton?? You keep finding the really nice items. Partly informed taste, but also a sober reminder to us all about the bird and the worm.

You have indeed my dear friend.

You were admiring it last time you were here.

It would appear I have an example in near pristine condition, far better than those shown in the town museum.

Alas...it is missing all but three of the bits which would have originally been with it.

DSC_0083.JPG

As you can see...it's the "Horace" model rather than the "Joshua" model...don't know if that is better or worse.... #-o

DSC_0084.JPG

Almost all of the original plating is present....

DSC_0085.JPG

...along with two turnscrew bits and a point awl.

I really think this was a great find....

DSC_0087.JPG

....especially on Fleabay at only a fiver! Just goes to show...you can get some bargains if you know what you're looking for! :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

Never a dead thread.
I spotted this on eBay recently and had a hunch it may slip by unnoticed - bad shot, poor description etc. I think the description was 'screwdriver, 24 inch'. I recognised it as a screwdriver, but the other bit caught my eye :wink:

SD1.jpg

Don't recall coming across one this size before (actually about 23 1/2") - made by J H Peace & Son. Very nicely made and been well cared for too.

SD2.jpg

Need to get some much bigger screws now. It works well on plane cap iron screws but is slightly unwieldy for that. Cost me about £10, and more than half that was the postage.
If anyone knows more about J H Peace, or any serious idea as to likely use (I've had a few of the others already) - please add. Re use, it has 2 owner stamps on it, so I assume was a professional tool in its day.

Attachments

• SD1.jpg
    SD1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,198
  • SD2.jpg
    SD2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,198
That's not a screwdriver, this is a screwdriver

Big driver.JPG

Almost 27 inches and the smaller one with a bigger handle is almost 20". Sadly no makers marks but the longest does have 1944 and an arrow.

I'll hang on to them until I find a use for them or Gulliver calls and collects.

Attachments

• Big driver.JPG
    Big driver.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,182
OK, you win. I'll probably stop at the 2 footer... hard to find many uses for it. The arrow will be military, MOD I expect (given date too). Maybe they were used more as engineering tools than for woodworking? Mine came from Scotland I think so was likely used for opening the paint tins on Forth Bridge.

I think that's a 'turnscrew' rather than a screwdriver - available until about the 1970s and intended for heavier-duty work. The joiner, shipwright and millwright would have turnscrews, the cabinetmaker and patternmaker would prefer the round-stemmed screwdriver. Some time in the late '70s or '80s, some pillock invented cross-point screws, the power screwdriver, Torx bits and all the other modern rubb - er, developments, thus sealing their fate.

Here is a suggestion on why everyone needs a proper man-size screwdriver:

0071bg_zpsfb98a67b.jpg

(Marples, 1938, who only listed them up to 18")

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why these screwdrivers are shaped the way they are? Why the reduction in width mid way?

Regards Mick

Spindle":2wrho63h said:
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why these screwdrivers are shaped the way they are? Why the reduction in width mid way?

Regards Mick

I should think it was a combination of weight reduction, material cost reduction and that it fits the hand better between the thumb and palm.

Jim

OK, you win. I'll probably stop at the 2 footer... hard to find many uses for it. The arrow will be military, MOD I expect (given date too). Maybe they were used more as engineering tools than for woodworking? Mine came from Scotland I think so was likely used for opening the paint tins on Forth Bridge.

So the arrow means military, learn something new everyday, so guess its a WMD as issued to the Home Guard.

Have a few more somewhere all came in job lot from the estate of an amateur dealer/restorer who seemed to purchase all his kit from Lazarus Auctions (Watford phone number).

Thanks for the pic AndyT, guess in the good old days before electric drills a big screwdriver was a better option than using a drill brace upside down.

Mr_P":1khroios said:

So the arrow means military, learn something new everyday, so guess its a WMD as issued to the Home Guard.

Have a few more somewhere all came in job lot from the estate of an amateur dealer/restorer who seemed to purchase all his kit from Lazarus Auctions (Watford phone number).

Thanks for the pic AndyT, guess in the good old days before electric drills a big screwdriver was a better option than using a drill brace upside down.

It means to a military contract/specification, often accompanied by the numbered spec. against which it was made.

It's possible that there's no maker's mark because it was also "war finish": In the early part of WWII, the Ministry of Supply told tool manufacturers to make less effort finishing tools, so as to reduce cost and production time.

I think many manufacturers initially resented this. So I have a Record #4 that was originally grey-blue (RAF-ish) all over (including the handles!). Instead of rosewood, the handles are beech. The lateral adjuster has "war finish" stamped into it. It's actually a pretty nice smoother (to be fair, I have flattened the sole and tweaked the frog, but that's probably compensating for age), and it's hard to see how the changes made much difference to production cost (apart from the wood used). I think Record were making a point!

Later, as materials became really scarce and cost a crucial factor, they dispensed with 'war finish' labels - everything was made to it, after all! I suspect your screwturn came from that period.

I believe the same finishes continued for a while after the war, too. It's easy to understand the demise of many tool making firms at that point - they would have been in full-on wartime production, to cover losses from enemy activities, etc., then, when peace was restored, many of the military tools were re-used in civilian life, so sales would have collapsed. The late 1940s and 1950s must have been tough for them, despite the need to rebuild infrastructure, etc.

E.

Ah yes Cheshire, I meant turnscrew but forgot. Jim had already put me right on that. I prefer 'turnscrew' anyway, sounds like a tool, whereas 'screwdriver' sounds rather B&Q.
Re the Marples brochure shot Andy. I was trying to see what he was fixing above his head. What exactly is a reputation? :lol:

Back