Alf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to dip in and out of this forum (mainly linked with when I actually get a chance to do some woodworking!) but I have to admit if there was a big 'verbal' punch up it passed by without me noticing...

As far as I'm concerned people have the right to their own opinions - some people don't appear to like hearing them, and if they dislike them enough to stop contributing to a forum then it's their right to do so (no matter how ridiculous that may seem to some of us!).

In the cold light of day it is ONLY WOODWORKING, and given some of the much more pressing issues in the world today it seems a pretty silly thing to fall out over..!! :roll:

There's my 2c for what it's worth (not much, probably!!)

Gary

Dan T wrote:
I only look in to see what Mr Grimsdale has to say - he's a star!

Great to wind up though!! :lol: Scrit recently wanted nominations for a book list and I proposed all of the Krenov books :whistle: Now JK is one of Mr Grimms better known targets :wink: and he took the bait hook, line and sinker and went off one one! Fabulous :lol: :lol: :lol: - Rob

interestingly, after slagging JK off on here and the subsequent unpleasentness, he now says on the other forum that he owns most of his books :roll:

woodbloke":1bioxgdu said:
I always feel a bit sad that Alf doesn't post on UKW any more, I liked her wit and style, as well as being a veritable mine of sound information on all things hand toolie.

Completely agree, she is missed here. I did register 'over the road' but have only limited time so don't go there very often.

The dispute which IIRC centered around advertising on this board. I am totally convinced that the magazine editor in question never ever intended his thread to be 'taking advantage' of UKW members but some thought it did and it just went into a slanging match.

TBH Alf was not one of the main contenders as I recall, and in retrospect it was all a bit of a storm in a tea cup.

I wish Alf would come back, as mentioned she has a great style and a huge hand tool knowledge.

Funny how memories fade with the passage of time.

The discontent with the way this forum was being run at the time, as well as with some of the members here, ran far deeper than some seem to realise. In some ways the 'storm in a teacup' was more like the straw that broke the camel's back.

Much that caused the discontent hasn't changed, so whilst many continue to be active members of both fora, I don't see an imminent closure 'over the road' and a wholesale return as too likely.

There is a very different feel to the two fora, and since neither threatens the existance of the other, a continued co-existance is probably for the best, IMO.

Oh, and for those who miss her, Alf is quite easy to find.

Dave

Christ, sounds like a holocaust! It does seem that there was an outbreak of SLOPS (Severe Lack of Perspective Syndrone), seems to happen quite often...

Aidan

I can't understand why things could get out of hand, although I did witness a similar heated debate on free hand versus honing guide.

Everyone should come back, this is a great site and the people are what makes it.

David

Tierney":ppqnyeve said:
I can't understand why things could get out of hand, although I did witness a similar heated debate on free hand versus honing guide.

Everyone should come back, this is a great site and the people are what makes it.

David

although i wasnt here for the trouble having viewed the thread concerned i cant help feeling that there are some that the mods/admin here may not want back (not aiming this at alf in particular - it appears that he/she quit in support of someone else who was banned.)

this is a great site and it is the people who make it that way , but it would be considerably less great if every second post resulted in a punch up as a result of some people suffering from SLOPS.

therefore i would tend to agree that peaceful coexistence is the way forward, after all if anyone does want to talk to alf et al there is always the possiblity of joining the other forum too.

Absolutely, if people want to fight then pick a topic that really matters, like which is better, badgers or hedgehogs?

Aidan

I always wondered what Mrs Krenov allowed past her front door....

TheTiddles":4o22amvl said:
Absolutely, if people want to fight then pick a topic that really matters, like which is better, badgers or hedgehogs?

Aidan

badgers clearly - a hedgehog cant eat a badger ;) :D

big soft moose":1fx1loew said:
TheTiddles":1fx1loew said:

Aidan

I CAN'T BELEIVE YOU COULD SAY SUCH A THING, I AM SO OFFENDED THAT...

sorry, SLOPS! :lol:

Aidan

TheTiddles":3d5tmlcw said:
big soft moose":3d5tmlcw said:
TheTiddles":3d5tmlcw said:

Aidan

I CAN'T BELEIVE YOU COULD SAY SUCH A THING, I AM SO OFFENDED THAT...

YEAH WELL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR HEDGEHOG ..... UNTIL THE HANDLE COMES OFF AND YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE DOCTOR TO HAVE IT TAKEN OUT ;) :D

yep SLOPS again. The worrying thing (apart from the fact that hedgehogs dont have handles ;) ) is that many forum kickoffs are that trivial - theres something about the PC which leads to vitriolic exchanges which would never occur if we were all in the pub.

Tierney":3qwfekx6 said:

A lot of them aren't free to, even if they were that way inclined.

big soft moose":1qh0glb7 said:
although i wasnt here for the trouble having viewed the thread concerned i cant help feeling that there are some that the mods/admin here may not want back (not aiming this at alf in particular - it appears that he/she quit in support of someone else who was banned.

You'll be missing a bunch of posts from that thread (and the real story) as they were deleted by a moderator who realised he had overstepped the mark, and deleted the whole sub-thread.

Back