Air Compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all, my first post here so be gentle.

I'm looking for advice on a new aircompressor in the £150 region. My old one was a cheapo tank free unit and lasted for 15 years so owes me nothing but I'm thinking maybe a 50 litre tank.

I actually bought a 50L SIP air hurriicane vertical unit last week and was delivered next day, plugged it in and it was jiggered, took it back to local branch and a second unit was delivered today and exactly the same ! Going back on Monday and that will be my first and last order with them.

So I'm know cautiously in the market for something else and would welcome recommendations based on experience.

Go for a belt drive unit if you can find one in your price region.
Even a used one is better than the very noisy direct drive ones.

I plan to locate it in my garage and pipe it to the adjoining workshop so not too worried about noise, I'll have a fair distance and a brick wall between me and the compressor.

I've just bought this:
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc50h-50 ... compressor

I am absolutely delighted by it. I don't have much experience of them, I did own a small one 30 years ago, used it once, lent it to a mate, never saw it again. This one is bigger, oozes quality. Manual is carp. I also bought the brad nailer to go with it. Manual is even carpier, but the tool itself is excellent, once I'd spent 20 mins working out how to open it up (the illustration in the "manual" shows the WHOLE GUN in an area of about 12 x 8mm. I jest not.)

But very pleased indeed with the actual product.

I have asked this question before: why is a belt drive twin cylinder compressor better? is it just they recover quicker and are quireter or something even better?

Mike

Twin cylinders are better balanced I think - think multi cylinder engines.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

MikeJhn":2eggmg4k said:
I have asked this question before: why is a belt drive twin cylinder compressor better? is it just they recover quicker and are quireter or something even better?

Mike

Belt driven ones last longer and are quieter. If anything goes wrong, they can be repaired more easily.
If you are referring to a two stage compressor, they are more efficient in regards to power consumption,
but they cost more.

Twin cylinder motors have two compression strokes for each revolution of the crank, so as I intimated in my question they recover quicker and that seems to me to be the advantage.

Belt drives last longer? why would that be? I can see that they may be quieter, but have reservations on the longevity and ease of repair issue, except for the drive of course.

New question, what is a two stage compressor?

Mike

Two stage is where the cylinders are connected in series, so the air is compressed twice. The compressed air cools down between the cylinders so the efficiency is higher.

Presumably the belt drive provides some damping between the motor and compressor, so the loading is smoother.

MikeJhn":nmt02uva said:
Belt drives last longer? why would that be? I can see that they may be quieter, but have reservations on the longevity and ease of repair issue, except for the drive of course.

Mike

I think it is because all the components are separate units. A motor is easily replaced with a similar one, the compressor is
often manufactured by a reputable firm and spare parts are available over a longer time period. Even if this isn't the case,
a similar compressor can substitute the faulty one.
Air compressors of this type I've seen last for decades in spite of heavy everyday use. I doubt very much that the 50L, £99 ones will
share a similar fate.

Ahh a bit like "I'v had my broom for fifteen years, seven new heads and ten handles". Trigger from only fools and horses. :lol:

Mike

Back