AI Dovetail vs AI MkII Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which AI Chisels

• Dovetail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mk II

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SDF

Reaction score
I have a birthday looming and would like some better chisels. I've narrowed it down to AI as these seem the best value for money but I'm having trouble deciding between AI Dovetail and AI MkII (both available from Matthew at WH). Any one have an opinion (silly question) or experience of these, which might help me to make up my mind. Anticipated usage would be for light cabinet work paring by hand as I have some cheep firmers should I ever feel the urge to whack something with a mallet.

Steve.

I wouldn't be without my AI dovetail chisels. Well, apart from the ones that were stolen, but that's because they were in my college bag that contained my 'sharp and shiny' tools.

Haven't tried the MkIIs but I'd love to have a go.

Maybe a combination? A 1/4" dovetail and matching skews, and the rest MkIIs.

AI dovetails here (Yeah the full set) 8) Very nice feel quite delicate and work well as mini parers too. Definately not for thwacking though!

I have a couple of Mk11's and find them to be excellent, the side bevels are easily narrow enough to get into the corners of dovetails, and thus negating the need for dedicated dovetail chisels.

Cheers

Aled

I have a set of the AI dovetail chisels and they are excellent chisels, they hold a very good edge for a long time and are comfortable to use. However, they are not a set of do it all bench chisels, they have a lot less metal in the iron in order to give them the lower profile for dovetailing; what this means in practice is that when you get to the smaller chisels they do flex a little and wouldn't be suitable for being leathered with a mallet

jimi43":2ncc05f3 said:
You didn't put "Japanese" on the poll....

I didn't know AI had a branch in the orient. :shock: :wink:

A Japanese paring chisel is something else I'm pondering but I'm not sure about this hollow back malarky.

Steve.

SDF":s7sybrc1 said:
jimi43":s7sybrc1 said:
You didn't put "Japanese" on the poll....

I didn't know AI had a branch in the orient. :shock: :wink:

A Japanese paring chisel is something else I'm pondering but I'm not sure about this hollow back malarky.

Steve.

They don't Steve...only joshing ya! I am on a "I love Japanese chisels" kick at the mo...it will pass (maybe! :wink: )

Jim

Well thanks to everyone who contributed. The posts seemed evenly divided between the two types but the pole was 7:1 in favour of the MkII :?

In the end I ordered the three smallest of the dovetail chisels, with a view to adding to these with MkIIs as and when...

The dovetails arrived today - unfortunately AI's quality control leaves something to be desired. On the 1/8" chisel the brass ferrule has a whopping great crack in it. :(

IMG_0189.jpg

I've e-mailed Matthew and hopefully he will be able to arrange for a replacement.

Steve.

That's a shame. As this is a recurring thing, perhaps Matthew can get an explanation from AI as to why it happens?

SDF - shame about the ferrule. Who did you order them from - AI direct or Matthew? I've got a number of AI's, and the only problem i've had with them is that a couple of them were not ground square.

I hadn't seen your original post, otherwise I would have voted for the Mk2's. I really don't see the point of having the d/t's - the Mk2's are nice and slender for cutting dovetails.

Cheers

Karl

Wizer - I can think of a couple of things which might cause it to crack: too hard a spec brass; oversize machining on the handle and/or oversize tang on the blade.

Karl - I ordered them Matthew and just had a reply to my e-mail to him and he's going to replace it for me. :) :)

SDF":ty4j4j4b said:

Steve.
This is something I've been playing around with recently. Although there's a hollow in the back, the steel is just so hard :shock: that getting the back flat, or even slightly concave, can take some time. The main reason for this is that there's a 'bump' just behind the edge (caused by the heat treatment of the steel, I think) that needs to be removed. There are ways and means to remove it, but it takes time and patience.

The end result though, is definitely worth it :wink: - Rob

Rob - I have virtually relegated all my other chisels to the back drawer since acquiring my little Japanese parer.

I was browsing through the selection at Axminster yesterday...THIS IS NOT A GOOD SIGN!!! :D :D :D

I am sold on these...definitely!

Jim

jimi43":3lijxhga said:
Rob - I have virtually relegated all my other chisels to the back drawer since acquiring my little Japanese parer.

I was browsing through the selection at Axminster yesterday...THIS IS NOT A GOOD SIGN!!! :D :D :D

I am sold on these...definitely!

Jim
Agreed Jim...I would pay a visit to Dr Matthew. I know from experience that he's got the cure for this sort of disease...it involves dipping in the back pocket to extract the wallet :wink: :lol: - Rob

I wish you would all shut up about Japanese chisels! I've only just decided to start collecting AI's :lol:

Latest posts

Back