chisels for choping!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksteadyeddy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have until now been more than happy with my set of AI mkII chisels and to date have not found the need, or want to use a mallet with them, due to the increased amount of lapped dovetails at college I am now in the market for a couple of chisels just for chopping (something I can give a whak!! (hammer) )
I was just wondering what people used and for some suggestions in general? I'm after something a bit stouter than a bevel edge, maybe firmer? but nothing too big.

Cheers Edd

Try a Japanese chisel and belt it with a hammer. If you can borrow one to try it out you'd then be able to see what they're like to use, but if you do, don't lever with it or the edge will chip - Rob

Hi Edd,

Your AI's may look delicate, but because they are properly forged they are surprisingly tough.

If you use a beech mallet on them the handles should be absolutely fine, you may burnish the bubinga a bit but they will stand up to reasonable chopping use.

They are very definitely cutting tools, not levering tools, but hitting them with a mallet is fine and will not affect your lifetime warranty.

Thanks all for the replies!

Rob I had half thought about a couple of jap chisels, just to give them a try as much as anything else. I was fairly sure the was going to be such a suggestion from yourself! :lol:

Mathew it is as much bashing in the end of the bubinga as anything else (bit of an exaggeration I know) I'm quite happy to keep the AI just for paring and I think I could manage with just one or two others that can take a bit of abuse.

With regards to "levering tools" is there a suggestion of something that the edge is a bit tougher on, I presume a non beveled edge?

Thanks again

Edd

Yes Mathew that was my initial thought, the only problem is that they don't do anything smaller than 1/2" as far as I can tell? I was thinking maybe a 1/2" and probably 3/8" would cover most of the work I've been doing of late.

Edd

Back