Advice wanted on choice of diamond stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ike

I would say just get the fine as I can be a cheap skate :wink:
It will be a little ruff at first but after a while it will be ok, I hope that is clear.

If you want, you could get the duo from Chronos as they do the fine /super fine combo. They are doing them at a good price or find out which stone Tilgear where offering.

I hope that is of help :)

I was thinking to use only diamond stone ('fine') possibly a 'superfine' and a final lick on a strop.

To be honest Ike, that's all I ever use. I don't know the equivelent grits of the Eze Laps, but James Barry, the guy who imports and sells the Trend ones reckons the fine one is equal to about 6000 jap grit iirc, the dual sided coarse face is about 1000 grit.
I only ever use the coarse side for flattening backs of new irons. I'd go for the finest grit if its only honing you want to do.
I then use a piece of leather gleued on a board with parrafin oil to keep it supple, then rub in a hard polishing compound. Don't know what grit that is, but it tweaks it enough for most things.

Andy

Eze-Lap blurb says the fine grade is equivalent to 600 grit and is OK for 98% of sharpening needs. The superfine is equivalent to 1200 grit and gives a fine polish for that extra sharpness on smoothing plane irons.

Ike

If you want, you could get the duo from Chronos as they do the fine /super fine combo. They are doing them at a good price or find out which stone Tilgear where offering.

Tilgear do the 8" x 3" with leather pouch - £69.32 for two stones. Chronos do the same for £94.44.

So I'll stretch to the two from Tilgear! Thanks everyone for your advice.

cheers,

Ike

Which one are Tilgear offering for £25+vat

Oh I forgot that. Fine and medium 8" x 3" are on offer for £25. The superfine is £29.50

cheers,

ike

My Eze-Lap 8" x 3" fine stone arrived today. Looking at it I'm glad I went for the solid plate, continuous diamond type. The leather pouch is a nice touch and smacks of quality being made of thick hide. Just waiting for the superfine stone to arrive now.

thanks to all and particularly to Colin for your advice.

cheers,

Ike

Hi Ike,

The leather pouches are a nice touch, I reviewed a Trend single sided one a while back that came with one and whacked some honing soap on it to try it. Worked a treat, so perfect for a final polish up if you are out and about and need a keener edge.
I used a hard crayon type rather than paste though, I would think it could get a bit messy.

Andy

Hi Nick,

I usually use a pale blue one from Starkie and Starkie, or a green one from Lee Valley, which is about the same colour as the old washing soap my gran used to use!
Can't tell you the equivelent grits though i'm afraid!

Andy

Hi Andy,

It took me while for the penny to drop this morning that I could use the pouch to hone on. I wonder if Eze-Lap intended it? Anyway I already have a small Starkie leather and as you mentioned a small wax crayon-like stick (french-branded stuff) from Axminster.

job's a good'un as they say.

cheers,

Ike

Latest posts

Back