Advice on which DMT Diamond Stone for Scraper Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchanal

Reaction score
Hello all
I currently use a turnip grade file and a 1,000 grit Japanese Waterstone to sharpen my cabinet scrapers. I use the Brian Boggs method for sharpening them (turnip file>1,000 waterstone>burnisher).
However, I am getting sick of scrapers digging into my Waterstone, and I have decided to buy a DMT Diamond stone to do this with instead.

Which grade of DMT Diamond stone would be the best for scraper sharpening; Fine (600 mesh, 25 micron), or Extra Fine (1200 mesh, 9 micron)?
Which would be the closest equivalent to my 1,000 stone? I am really happy with how that works, so I am looking for a similar stone but in Diamond form.

Bear in mind I use the turnip file first, so I need something that will take those marks off and give me a nice polished edge.

Any advice would be very helpful
Thank you

Stick wet and dry to a bit of Mdf and go though the grades after the file.
Stones are not a good choice for scrapers as you have found and a diamond plate will not be much better IMHO

I make scrapers out of old tooth hardened rip saws that can be found on any builders skip. 8)
Then I have several ready to go for a job without breaking off to re burnish.

Also, I prep the two long faces on a rectangle, put masking tape over one and burnish the other.

Back