Advice wanted on choice of diamond stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
I know the topic title is enough to make you groan "not again!". My question though is somewhat simpler. Reading the latest topic on it makes me think about simplfying my sharpening regime. Basically I started with an Icebear kit/stone pond setup. It's an effective if somewhat ponderous regime and yes I find it a bit too messy sometimes.

I'm thinking to replace all that paraphanalia with one double-sided or two single-sided diamond stones to use 'on the hoof' while i'm working in or out of the workshop. A simple, 'bung-in-the-toolbox, non-messy solution. I'm not going to attempt any heavy sharpening/shaping - that's all taken care of with a new power grinder.

I've trawled and digested quite a few of the previous threads on diamond stones already.

I'm thinking a fine and superfine (= red and green I believe?) combo (the Eze-lap duo for around £60). Am I right in thinking that the superfine will give me a satisfactory edge sharpness for most purposes (softwoods etc)

Does anyone have one of these and what is their opinion?. The DMT stones are a bit more than I wish to pay although I note the polycrystalline/monocrystalline argument. Is it really significant in the context of light use?

cheers,

Ike

I would (and did) buy DMTs from the US. They're light enough to airfreight USPS at low cost, and with the dollar so weak you should end up well up on UK prices.

I use fine and extra fine for micro bevels (and then hone, if I can be bothered, with autosol at the moment).

Medium is enough for most heavier sharpening, and the coarse gets used only occasionally for big stuff like re-establishing primary bevels, doing backs, dinked edges, etc.

If I had to choose two grits? Hmm. Fine and extra fine, and a cheap oilstone for the coarser stuff away from the workshop, I think.

Ike
I bought one of my DMT 8" Duosharps from the US. The price difference was huge. I ordered through Amazon and my sister bought it home for me. But even with shipping you may save something. Try Lee Valley or Woodcraft if you're interested.
FWIW - the Trend one is a similair price to the DMT one £80-90.
Colin uses the Eze-laps and seems to like them - available from Tilgear for one.
Cheers
Gidon

Did some one call :)

I have two Eze-Lap 6"x2" stone and te first one I have had for about 8-10 years ( I am still using it ).

I would be happy to get the Duo version of them and Tilgear is the cheapest place I have seen them by far, plus I have friends that I have worked with that have also had them and have been happy too :) .

I hope it helps

Thanks chaps for all your advice. Despite a very itchy credit card finger for a DMT I've decided to stick to my budget and go with Colins choice. I think the Eze-lap duo will be fine. From Chronos unless you know a cheaper source?

cheers,

Ike

Hi Ike,

I would definitely go down the continuous diamond route, as I said in the other thread, I find smaller width chisels can dig on the perforated ones, plus, despite DMT quoting flatness tolerances, especially on their biggest ones, I am always wary of a very thin plate bonded to a plastic type sub base. I would say this is more prone to distotion at some stage than a 10mm thick steel plate.
The downside to steel plate ones is they need to be either put into a holder (the waterstone ones are ideal) or on the edge of a bench as the handles of chisels tend to hit the bench when trying to back off wire edges, preventing the back of the tool from sitting flat.
As for choice, I would go for a Trend as i've had great results from them, Colin C recommends an Eze Lap for the same reasons, so both good stones.
I think DMT are now doing continuous solid steel plates, but i'm not sure who the supplier is in the UK now, Starkie and Starkie went out of business as I recall.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I think DMT are now doing continuous solid steel plates

Those are the 'Dia-Sharp' I believe, but not available in 8" x 3" AFAIK. I like the little bit of spare width when sharpening the 2-5/8" plane blade.

Am I correct in thinking the Eze-Lap are continuous diamond surface but as you mention thin plates on a plastic substrate? I suppose the double-sided stone confers a lot more stiffness than a single-sided of the same construction although nothing like that of a solid plate.

cheers,

Ike

No as far as i'm aware, the Eze Lap ones are solid steel plates. If they are the ones I remember from years back, they came in a leather pouch.
Colin C will hopefully confirm...

Andy

Yep.

The single grit 8 x 3 plates are solid (model 81, model 86 c/w leather pouch). The double-sided is composite thin plate/plastic.

H'mmm if I was to buy one single plate would the fine (600 grit) be the best choice or best to get a superfine as well?

ike

andy king":1fa9x18p said:
as far as i'm aware, the Eze Lap ones are solid steel plates. If they are the ones I remember from years back, they came in a leather pouch.
Colin C will hopefully confirm...
Well I am not Colin but I can confirm, I bought a single sided one from Tilgear as they were on special offer. It’s definitely a solid steel plate, I could not believe how heavy the thing is.
I detoured to visit Tilgear, what a place tools, tools and more tools. =P~

I guess you're happy with it Dave?. What grade did you get? I phoned Tilgear this afternoon to enquire about the duo. They didn't stock the fine/ superfine but mentioned at least one single-sided stone was on offer at £25 + the dreaded. I'll call them tomorrow as I don't know if they were referring to a 6" x 2" stone or an 8" x 3"

Ike

Ike,

Its the first 'good' diamond stone I have bought, I have a selection of cheap and nasty 3 for a fiver some what flexible plastic backed perforated things. What a difference :shock:
Its a fine grade, cuts very quickly and gives quite a good finish, I was wondering how fine was as going to be, there are lots of comments about fine diamond not being very fine. I sharpened my old swiss army knife, seen lots of use and abuse over the last 20 years, good as new. :D

I am a bit over run with new sharpening options, LOML bought me a Jet Wetstone grinder for Christmas, thats very good as well. 8)

I am a bit over run with new sharpening options, LOML bought me a Jet Wetstone grinder for Christmas, thats very good as well

Great tool isn't it!. I got mine at the same timel. Just got the gouge honing wheel today. It's been on backorder since Christmas.

Hi ike

Andy and Dave are right, that the Eze-lap is in a 6mm plate and come with a leather pouch.

ike

At the price you have said it could well be a course stone that is on offer and could well be 8"x3", but it would be best to give them a ring as you said :)

As Dave so well put it, dont go there with the plastic as it could well get a hammering :)
Great shop :D

I am a bit over run with new sharpening options, LOML bought me a Jet Wetstone grinder for Christmas, thats very good as well.

Certainly is! Just been putting one through its paces for the next issue. Very impressive!

Andy

So Colin,

Should I get just a fine, or both as fine and a superfine?

What do you think.

cheers,

Ike

ike

What else will you be using as I use a medium 6"x2" then a medium ceramic and finish with a strop.

I get a very good edge with this :)

Is it would help to know how you will be doing yours :-k

I try to help when I can :? :wink:

Colin,

I was thinking to use only diamond stone ('fine') possibly a 'superfine' and a final lick on a strop. I'm not sure which one will be best or whether to use both.

Ike

Latest posts

Back