Advice / recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcleod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

OK, this maybe, and probably is, a bunch of dumb questions....

As a small project to improve my skills I made a step stool out of Beech (OK, I didnt know it was quite that 'hard').

But having finished it and it looking ok'ish thought I would try it out indoors,,,,on the nice hard tile floor in the kitchen (and you can guess what happened next), yes, it did a good impression of Skateboard with me on top....

So thought - why not put some self adhesive feet on the base - that'll stop it moving - well, yes they do - but they keep falling of...and nothing seems to stick them on....

So some advice / help / recommendation please;
- is there a specific way of sticking things to hardwoods like Beech, Oak, etc
- do I need a re-think on the feet - do they need to be screwed on ??
- is there a 'best' supplier for these ?

Thanks in advance for the help / advice.....

I think the problem here is that you have actually put finish on the wood where you want to stick the feet, if you had stuck them on the unfinished wood you'd have had no problem.

As I see it you have two options, either use screw feet or rub thenfinish off the bottom of the stool and mask up where the feet will go, do the finish and then add the feet.

You could try a piece of double sided tape cut to the diameter of the feet.

I only use felt feet, as they can slide over the floors withour scratching. even with the felt feet you will have to stick them down again every few months

Regards
Jock

I have used felt feet that come in a little plastic cup, with a pin though the back. These are driven in and stop the feet being slid off as things are moved.
I bought then in either Lidl or Aldi, sorry I can't remember which, but just keep checking their web sites as they come round every so often in the special offers. :D :roll:

Back