Advice on workshop Floor finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbyshop

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I had a new workshop built last year, but had major problems with rising damp through the floor slab.

After a long dispute with the builder and the complete removal/replacement of the slab I finally ended up with a dry building.

I am now ready to begin equipping the shop but decided to lay a wooden floating floor using P5 grade t&g chipboarding flooring panels.

P5Floor.jpg

Though the P5 chipboard is moisture resistant I would like to add some additional protective finish to the floor to protect agains future spills etc.
I would appreciate some advice on a suitable finish to apply which will be durablle and give some additional waterproofing.

I have been thinking of maybe using a decking oil/stain or maybe a fence coating product like the Cuprinol ducksback range. Logically I guess the decking products should be more suitable, but I would appreciate any advice on these or any other products I should consider for the workshop floor.

Hobbyshop":3d75kxe8 said:
Hi
I had a new workshop built last year, but had major problems with rising damp through the floor slab.

After a long dispute with the builder and the complete removal/replacement of the slab I finally ended up with a dry building.

I am now ready to begin equipping the shop but decided to lay a wooden floating floor using P5 grade t&g chipboarding flooring panels.

P5Floor.jpg

Though the P5 chipboard is moisture resistant I would like to add some additional protective finish to the floor to protect agains future spills etc.
I would appreciate some advice on a suitable finish to apply which will be durablle and give some additional waterproofing.

I have been thinking of maybe using a decking oil/stain or maybe a fence coating product like the Cuprinol ducksback range. Logically I guess the decking products should be more suitable, but I would appreciate any advice on these or any other products I should consider for the workshop floor.

I'd be inclined to test\try out the industrial (25L drums) of polyurethane or epoxy garage\industrial unit paints. Cheap too.

HIH

Dibs

p.s. Whatever you try - I can imagine the chipboard talking a lot of paint due to the rough surface\pores.

I used a water based satin floor varnish on my workshop floor about 4 years ago and is has been very good with no obvious signs of wear.
I've not noticed any tendency for it to be come slippery either when coming in with wet shoes or when covered with sawdust.
I think I used 5litres on 30 sq metres but it was a long time ago but I recall being quite impressed at the coverage (2 coats)

Bob

9fingers":1hoacmrr said:
I used a water based satin floor varnish on my workshop floor about 4 years ago and is has been very good with no obvious signs of wear.
I've not noticed any tendency for it to be come slippery either when coming in with wet shoes or when covered with sawdust.
I think I used 5litres on 30 sq metres but it was a long time ago but I recall being quite impressed at the coverage (2 coats)

Bob

Yeah - hadn't thought of that, the proper floor "varnishes". Be interesting on what the coverage ends up being on chipboard flooring tho.

Dibs

9fingers":8oyaji6j said:

Wouldn't look as nice but if you are going for completely practical you could sprinkle sand into your finish. Will provide extra grip..

Ryan

Thanks for the comments.

Dibs - I don't think this P5 grade chipboard will be too bad. It has a smooth surface with a sheen to it, and I tried some Cuprionol on a small offcut and it seemed to cover well.
We shall see. :D

Bob - I considered floor varnish but was concerned about it's durability. I will have some of the machines on castors to move around the shop. Do you have any of your machines on wheels, and if so do you still find the varnish stands up well?

Hi Kevin,

I have 3 big machines on castors and whilst there has been the odd dent in the floor due to voids in the plywood, the varnish has held up very well with them being moved about.
You might want to use a diluted primer coat to seal your chipboard - say 10-20% water.
I used the no name stuff from either Screwfix or toolstation. Not cheap but cheaper than branded products.

hth

Bob

Back